My two and a half year old is repeating the ends of words, is this normal?

My daughter recently started repeating the ends of words or sentences. For example she'll say "Mommy, -my, -my, -my" or "Baby, -by, -by"
It's not all the time and it's not always with the same words.
Has anyone else experienced this, is it normal?

Thanks so much!

AutumnJade412

Asked by AutumnJade412 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has been doing this a lot. Sometimes he'll just make a sound without saying the word first. I personally think it's just them trying out sounds and listening to themselves talk - after all, there are so many new words and sounds to learn when you're so little.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• sounds just like play of sounds

watch to see if child just repeats last word of sentence...example you say "do you want candy or brocilli" OR "do you want to PLAY or CLEAN " something that you know they would pick the first one, if child repeats the 2nd choice, then i would take to doctor to get referral to speech therapist or autism doctor for testing, speech with child doing ECHO of last thing said is a concern, sign of spectrum, but otherwise, not a concern.

my child in spectrum, but does NOT do echo, but this can be a sign,

you did not really give this as example in your question, but not enough info, just a hint of concern from you, so i am adding this info
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thank you for the answers!
    Fiatpax, I understand what you're saying but no, she does not echo the last thing we say. I just tried the test you stated- and she chose candy lol
    It's more like she drags out the end or sentences or words. "Thank you Mommy, -my, -my" or "It's a picture of a panda, -da, -da."
    As I said, it's not all the time (maybe a few times a day) or even occurring with the same words. And it's only happening with the last word she says, never in the middle of a sentence.
    I apologize, I should have stated this in the original message!
    AutumnJade412

Comment by AutumnJade412 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• To me... it sounds like it's just a game she is playing with herself... She is sounding out the syllables and rolling them off her tongue... kinda like a song
    KarenJim

Answer by KarenJim at 11:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Did your daughter ever get over this? My two and a half year old son is doing this now! Would really like to know. Thanks!
    Maho T.

Answer by Maho T. at 8:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2011