Moving overseas, to wean or not to wean

Hello,
We are moving to Europe in 8 weeks. Our 15 month old wakes between 1 and 3 times during the night screaming, wanting to nurse. She also nurses before a morning nap, once in the afternoon and before bed. I am ready to stop nursing (she, apparently, is not). Do you think it's a wise idea to spend these next few weeks trying to wean, or do you think it might actually be easier to just keep nursing her, given the stress of the move? Thanks. If I wean, I'm sure there will be lots and lots of screams, protests, tears...etc etc. Not looking forward.

onefootforward

Asked by onefootforward at 10:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you're really really ready to wean, then do it. Moving is stressful but you'll be able to comfort your child even if you are no longer nursing.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oohh..Personally, I would continue until you are settled in the new home and then wean if you want then. I am a big fan of child-led-weaning, but, if that isn't your thing, I understand, but, that is a huge move for a 15month old and it may all be way to much for her to wean and then move. I mean, she would eventually be just fine if you did though. So..
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:35 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would definitely NOT wean before a huge move. You will be taking away one of her main comforts at the same time that you are completely changing her surroundings and that can be very, very stressful on a little one.

Also, you would be eliminating a tool from your mommy toolbox... and it's the best tool I know of to deal with toddlers!!!

We all hit slumps when we start thinking about weaning... and if you push through, it does get better. GL!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If you are ready to wean then go ahead. While it might not be the most opportune time at least you would have both hurdles overcome at once.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think you should wait until your settled.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• wait, between the move and weaning, it will only get worse.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010