making a difference with the kids.

This may sound horrible to some of you, but I'm posting it anyway. My Mil passed last year. She made a huge differnce in her other grandkids from mine. The others would spend the night with her all the time, she would always have an excuse if mine would ask. My husbands siblings went to the beach and the kids were playing. My Sil made the comment she is looking down on them and laughing. It makes me sick at my stomache. I know it's not the other grandkids fault. I also know she is dead and I should let it go, but I can't when they are constantly making comments like that. What do I tell my kids when they ask why she made such a difference in them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I often wonder the same with my own mother. My sister is my half sister and my mother practically ignores her kids. It gets really bad when my son is around, he is the youngest so my mother always yells at his cousins saying they'll hurt my son and other complete bull crap. My son gets the most Christmas presents and the most expensive ones. I was talking to her the other day saying we would not be doing Christmas presents because we will not be around, my husband works Christmas day. She complained that Christmas is too expensive and does not know why my sister expects to do Christmas at their house with gifts. It was my moms way of saying why do I have to buy for her family. It is horrible obvious and I feel embarrassed over it. I don't know what to say to my sister and bil about it. What would you want me to do? I don't say the types of things your family does but what can anyone do to make the situation better?
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i'm not sure that the comment was so bad. she is probably meaning in the sense that she is laughing at how cute the kids are playing and how sweet they are. not laughing at them like they are creepy kids or something like that. unfortunately some kids get better attention then others. maybe your grandma found your kids to be more of a handful then the others. i would find a way to let it go cause you don't want to keep feeling resentment over this. also i'm sure sil didn't mean it to sound like you took it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• mrs.coop i would say something to my mom about how she treats the kids differently. that would be a start.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm so sorry that your kids were not appreciated by your MIL. I know mine plays favorites terribly, even after my SIL and her husband have been married for 16 years his kids still can not call her grandma (even though she lives next door to them and expects them to visit her daily). I would try and develop the relationship between your parents and your children so at least they have a good set of grandparents and ignore the junk that is going to come from your inlaws about what a great person she was, they probably did not see the same side of her that you did.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:07 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Unfortunately we cannot control the actions of others, but we can control our own. Let it go and don't worry about it and make the best influence YOU can on your kids lives.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010