interested in getting a dog for my kids, but afraid of the cost

i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get a dog and i think my kids would benefit from having a pet. my youngest loves dogs and my oldest starts to warm up to them after a while and then starts playing with them like they're his best friends. But I already have two kids and me and my husband are concerned about the cost of having a dog. What are you experiences and estimates on how much it would cost to keep a dog per month?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 10:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Well, for me food for my dog who is 35 pounds costs about 35 to 45 a month (depending on sales and coupons for the good I get him), and the worming pills every three months depends on the brand and where you get it. Anywhere from 25 to 50 (I only do it during the summer) and getting a dog fixed and all their shots at the beginning cost me 600 in three months (if you get a puppy they do boosters so you have to go in a few times) but, next year since I don't need boosters it should only cost me roughly 200. What helps is to call around to find a cheap vet.
    If you adopt from a pound, most of the time the puppies come fixed and with their boosters, and depending on the shelter are from 175 to 300 for a puppy (it gets cheaper the older the dog)
    Plus, if your dog happens to get hurt or sick you need to factor that it will cost anywhere from 400 to 4000 to help the dog.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Depends on the kind of dog (size has a lot to do with it) wrt how much they eat.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My dog isn't that costly. We buy food, treats and chewies weekly. The vet of course, but we've only gone a few times for shots. He was fixed, that was a couple hundred. He had a leg accident, another couple hundred. It gets very expensive to board him when we go away. All in all, not that bad.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• But, if you keep money set aside for "emergencies" and every month put some money into it if an accident does happen then you wont feel such a big hit in costs.
    Petsmart and Petco have some good deals if you join and get their card (like grocery stores) I like petco because for every 100 you spend you get a 5 dollar off coupon and I have a dog, cat and fish so I get those a lot and it REALLY helps. lol
    I think if you look around, really think about it, do your research like finding a vet before hand and you are at least stable (you don't have to make a fortune, just a steady reliable income) then you will do fine! I really suggest adopting just because when you get the dog not only are you helping but you get the discount on shots and the animal being fixed (depending on the shelter of course but that comes wth looking around)

Good luck!!
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Dogs can be spendy. If you get a puppy, they NEED to be fixed(about $400.00), they need all of their first shots(about $300.000, they will need a lot of toys, you will need a lot of treats to train, you will need a lot of deodorizes because the dog will poop and pee all over your floors, have some money set aside to replace a chair because it will chew up all of your things! Also, do you travel a lot? You're not going to want to bring the puppy with you all the time so put aside some money for the kennel. If the dog has behavioral problems you may need puppy classes(about $100.00 for 6 weeks). Most of all you will need a lot of time to train if you want a happy, productive dog!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If you go for a pure bred or designer breed dog from a breeder, or even pet store, it will cost so much more than going to a shelter and adopting. For a small dog, you can easily spend thirty dollars or less monthly on food, chewies and treats. Things like shampoo, nail clippers, flea treatments, brush, leash and collar are only occasional buys and if you join the Petco Pals free reward thing you get some great discounts (though I wouldn't buy food there, it's pretty pricey). Vet visits for shots can be as cheap as 40 dollars or as much as 200 dollars, depeding where you go. Check around for a doggy shot clinic. There is sometimes a day when vets will do them for just the cost of shots and you don't have to be a low income family to take advantage of this. And spay/neuter is less expensive for a small dog because the procedure requires less medication for a small dog.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Well, for starters is you are interested in one of the "designer dogs" keep in mind that all they are are Mutts. They are not quality bred dogs that you get from Reputable breeders.  Most of those "Designer dogs" are just dogs that have been thrown together just to make money so more often then not the puppies are not healthy.  They are coming from puppy mills and back yard breeders.  If you look hard enough you can find the same cross in shelters for a lot less money.  You of course run the risk of having any dog with healthy issues but because the designer dog fad has gotten popular you will find more healthy problems with the dogs purposely bred to be mutts. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i want a small dog and i want to raise it from a pup up.. how much do you think it'll cost for.. let's say.. a shorkie??
    khmymommi

Comment by khmymommi (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• A small dog will cost less for food, but shots and neutering will be the same.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• A small dog will cost less to feed, but will be the same for everything else. I would visit a shelter to find your pet, our local shelter adopts dogs for $75 and they come with up-to-date shots and fixed.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2010