How do you feel about this quote?

"Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't." -- Mark Twain

I love this quote and stand by it. Ever since I was a kid, I read. It doesn't apply to magazines and comics (in my opinion); it applies to BOOKS containing more than just 30 pages of a magazine. Books that have hundreds of pages of fantastic journeys on them. I've always been a reader. When I ask people if they read and they tell me, "Just magazines," it makes me sad. People who don't have the distraction of children or family don't read unless they have to.

It makes me sad.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:48 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think an underlying message is, the more you know, the better off you are. People may not be into reading (I love it) but it is a great way to educate yourself on just about any subject. I think there is truth to what he says.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree completely....i love to read...BOOKS! They are so full of knowlege, imagination, and captivity. I think reading feeds your brain and your soul....makes you think. I love that both my boys love to read...don't think i've ever said no to buying a new book....thanks for posting this!
    waleb1002

Answer by waleb1002 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Love the quote! I am a reader and I think people are missing out if they dont enjoy reading. I love watching a story unfold and it makes me think about things that I wouldn't have thought about before.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Some people just cant hold interest in things as well as others. I have always been a reader since I was old enough to know how. My husband on the other hand, can't make it through a page of something without getting bored! To each their own I guess, but I do love the quote!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree, and I think it goes with just about any skill. If you learn to do something you should use it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Ahh I must agree! There is NOTHING in this world as good as opening a brand new book knowing you are the first person reading those words on the page. NOTHING is like the story in your own head, or seeing your child's face while reading them a story! I think books are what really does make the world go round. I mean books NOT those Ereaders and whatnot!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I love the smell of a new book, and sometimes, depending on the age, old books, too. This is why I refuse to buy a Kindle (or any other kind of "e reader"); I want to feel and smell the book in my hands. I want to have the paper cuts from turning the pages. Getting comfy in a chair, couch, or bed with a book just sounds nicer than something hard and plastic. It's not the same.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just because someone cant read doesn't mean they are dumber than anyone in the world. Some people that cant read have become very successful in life. I love reading and teaching my kids to read and appreciate the fact that with reading they can learn what ever they want to become what they want as they get older... but for some people that comes naturally
    MakG

Answer by MakG at 12:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I too love books and will continue to buy them. BUT I also have a kindle and I enjoy it very much. Just an easy way to take my fav's with me where I go. It will never take the place of my book collection, but it is a wonderful tool, has brain games etc also to keep my mind sharp. I would recomend them to anyone. Also, kindles are invironmentally friendly..can'd complain about that factor. I love books, but I love trees too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Tam, my brother just got an Ereader...OMG I wish he hadn't wasted the money it is horrible!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010