How can I get him to stop doing this?

My 2.5 yr old son for the last 2 weeks has been spitting out his food. during almost every meal he will take a few bites and swallow. But a few times will take a bite, chew it and just spit it back out...I have no idea whats going on, any advice?

chanelsparkels

Asked by chanelsparkels at 10:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried asking him what is wrong? He might not be able to articulate completely, but you might want to make sure that he doesn't have mouth pain or some other problem. If you really think that it is just behavior- then I think it depends on your child. Honestly, I think that 2.5 is not really old enough to expect perfect table manners. I would tell him that if he has to spit food out, to please put it on his plate and then ignore it. Ignoring behavior is a great way to get rid of it. I an mot a fan of corporal punishment, but introducing it at the dinner table seems like an invitation for war, not a way to win it.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Either put less on his plate or give a few bites on his plate and add if needed or wait until he asks to eat and then feed. That may help him for a bit and you can bring him back to a better routine and schedule of eating once he stops spitting it out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i am in the same battle as you are and all i do is tell her to eat it and if she does not it sits there and i wait for her to eat it and i tell her she is not going to get anymore till she eats it (i take her food away until that bite is eaten) and when it is gone i give her her food back.
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Pick up his food and walk away.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Im agreeing with christinab. although it is all very good advice i don't want the dinner table to bring hostility. I do spank him when he does something he is not allowed to do and put him in time out when he throws a fit. I did take away the food the last few times but he just didnt eat at all and i cant have that. we have been making sure to cut his food in smaller pieces and ignore it if he spits any out. at this point im thinking he is taking too big of bites. THanks Ladies!
    chanelsparkels

Comment by chanelsparkels (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• He is showing you that he can do as he pleases. He is at the age where you and he are in a battle to see who the authority is in your home. Food is one of a toddler's favorite battle ground, because you can't make him eat and he knows it. What you can do is make what he is doing a little painful for him. I would tell him one time that if he spits out any more food, he will be spanked on his bare leg. Then, if he spits, I would follow through. I would use a small flexible ruler or a plastic flyswatter and I would give him 2 or 3 swats on his bare leg or behind, just hard enough that he feels the sting of his disobedience. I would then remove the food and he would not get any snacks until the next mea. This is war, Mom, and if you don't start winning the battles now, the stakes will continue to get higher. Now is the time to teach your son that Mom is to be obeyed or there will be consequences.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010