just posted about a dog... well what about a ferret?? anyone has experience with those?

how long do you expect them to live?? are they good family pets? how much does it cost to keep?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 10:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pets

• lol I think I responded to your dog post.
    With ferrets they can make good family pets but also need training and can be trained almost like a dog. The young ones do go through a biting stage when they are teething. Also you will want to get it fixed and de-scented and some shots which is about 200 to 400 (depending on vet).
    They can be stinky and even after being de-scented they still have a musky order. ALSO they love to steal things like keys, wallets out of purses, anything they can carry (which would really shock you to see what they can drag of) and they will stick them under couches and in closets and stuff. You can litter train them and let them run loose in the house.
    They are very loving (but you can come across a mean one) and they are a crack up to watch their antics.
    Just read up on them, with training. Their cages cost about 400 (though you can get deals on craigs list just wash the cage)
    ... cont
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• a friend of mine had one.. they effin stink.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Cost is about the same as a dog. Bedding change every other day, food everyday, bathing supplies and vet.
    They tend to live 5-7 years. The Males have a stronger scent even with the scent glands removed. They are good pets for children. We had a female and she still stunk even with the scent glands removed. Had to bathe her 2-3 times a week and it did stink up the house. They send SO's sinuses on a roller coaster.
    They do shed and you have to keep their nails trimmed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• But like someone mentioned they do cost about the same as a dog in the long run and if you keep them up to date on everything and healthy food and clean bedding you can expect them to live three to four years I think... maybe longer.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Mine lived 3 years but I got her from a friend of a friend so I don't really know how old she was. And she was not de-scented and STUNK! LOL
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would not call that a good first pet. They are very clever, "steal" and can be destructive and bite if not handled properly. And as the PP said, they do smell. Even if descented, the odor lingers. The littler box can also be a pain.

It's good you are doing your research! I think a dog is your best bet. From a shelter that is current on shots and fixed. Our shelter does events where adoptions are free. We have a minature pinscher and she eats like a bird. Is very healthy and her annual vet visits for shots are fairly inexpensive. Maybe call a few local vets and ask them what an annual vet bill averages?
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• ..well that does it..I DON'T WANT A FERRET ANYMORE lol.. thanks for your comments ladies. DH suggested the ferret.. he said he had one and loved him to death.. he failed to mention the biting and the odor..
    khmymommi

Comment by khmymommi (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i use to have Farrets they stink and some times they will turn and bit u there not good with kids i won't have any more in my life time when i got my Farrets thats when i started getting mice in my house also
    sueanng

Answer by sueanng at 11:00 AM on Nov. 8, 2010