Innocent until proven guilty?

Do you believe this is true? I have seen many things recently that are exactly the opposite, people are guilty until they prove themselves innocent. Have you ever had an experience like this? What do you think about the statement in general?

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 11:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• In a perfect society, innocent until proven guilty prevails; however, we are not in a perfect society and it seems some judges and courts, just want to move onto the next case without really listening to the fact and evidence. Jurors don't want to be in court all day; even though they're thanked and compensated for their time, no one wants to be there and they want to move things along as quickly as possible.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It does seem like our justice system is flawed, but I think the bigger flaw is within the human race itself - so many people seem to have no morals.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Have you heard this saying "where there is smoke there is fire"

people are sheep they will believe what they are told by someone they trust in T.V. You see this in Politics all the time. People called that women a witch and they believed it, How stupid can you be?

Most people will believe the lie over the truth? WHY?

I have been lied about, so I will think you are innocent first until proven guilty.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think that's the way it's supposed to work, but sometimes I think it's really the other way around.  I've seen cases where it seemed like the person was assumed to be guilty and they were trying to prove they were innocent.  I've also seen cases where the prosecution just didn't do a very good job of proving someone was guilty (especially if some of their evidence was considered inadmissible).  In those cases, someone was not proven guilty because there was reasonable doubt, and that's the way it's intended to work.  I'm quite sure there are people who are innocent that were wrongly convicted, and there are also people who got away with crime because the prosecution didn't have enough evidence or presented their case poorly.  Definitely a flawed system in many ways, but hopefully it works more often than not.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No...I dont. Someone stole my DH identity. It was up to him to PROVE his innocence when the man bounced over $600 in checks! It cost US over $1000 to try and prove his innocence and then some IDIOT woman that worked at Autozone TEN YEARS before said she remembered MY dh writing THAT check on ONE sat TEN YEARS before. WTH? I worked retail....there is no way you could have put a check in front of me 10 DAYS later and lined up a group of people and I could have matched it up! He was found guilty. Oh...and so was EVERY SINGLE person in that courtroom that day....what are the odds.....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I am sad to say, a lot of times, not so much.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• That only applies in the eyes of the court. Not the general public.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• People called that women a witch and they believed it, How stupid can you be?

who called who a witch, and who believed it?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No...I dont. Someone stole my DH identity. It was up to him to PROVE his innocence when the man bounced over $600 in checks! It cost US over $1000 to try and prove his innocence and then some IDIOT woman that worked at Autozone TEN YEARS before said she remembered MY dh writing THAT check on ONE sat TEN YEARS before.

So you are saying his id was stolen for TEN years before you or anyone else knew?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yikes momof!! I would be hard pressed to tell you who I took or credit card from today, let alone 10 yrs ago!!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010