Any tips on how to get a toddler to get better ready for nap time?

Goodniteandgo

Asked by Goodniteandgo at 11:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well my lil ones play themself out about 1:15pm so just get them outside
    DenaeS

Answer by DenaeS at 11:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I always found that reading to them seemed to help... We would go for a drive (made them tired) and then when we got home we would go lay down in a quiet room and read a book. Then we'd tell them that we loved them but it was time for bed and we'd lay them down and walk out of the room. Eventually they learned the routine and would tire themselves out preparing for it. But it's best to do this at the same time every day so their bodies are working with you....
    KarenJim

Answer by KarenJim at 11:16 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thanks!
    Goodniteandgo

Comment by Goodniteandgo (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We have nap at the same time every day and we have a routine for naptime just like we do for bedtime (different so he can differentiate between the two). After lunch while I clean up any dishes I will tell him "2 minutes until nap" - not that he can tell time yet, but it lets him know what's about to happen. Then I change his diaper, we read 2 books on the couch, then we get his two loveys and head up to his room. This has pretty much always been his routine and he rarely fusses.

Answer by missanc at 5:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Completely agree with missanc!! Our routine is a bit different, but otherwise, I completely agree.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010