My Son's Teacher Told Him "god Made Us"!

WTH? He attends a public school. WTF am I supposed to do to fix this? Its our word against hers. I don't want to open a can of worms that I can't fish with.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP, go to the school and discuss this matter with the principle.
    Teachers in a PUBLIC school CAN NOT use their religious beliefs with in the classroom
    We are dealing with something similar, but our problem are the Christian children preaching, and
    threatening others for not believing the same as them and these are only 4th graders... the sad
    thing is these ppl live across the street from us and I really don't have a problem with telling them
    where they can stick those bibles...
    IT IS NOT SOMEONE ESLES RIGHT OR JOB TO TEACH ANOTHER'S CHILD ABOUT RELIGION ...

Just go to the school and talk with the teacher and with the school principle... if it continues go above their heads...
    You have to nip it now or it will get worse...

good luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think when you are a Christian it is hard to seperate what you believe from what you say. For her it is prob very natural to say, "God just made us that way" You are going to get a little bit of everyone's beliefs if your kids are with them for 8 hours a day. God making us is a very common belief. I understand it's not your belief but I would just tell him alot of people think we were made from a spirit in the sky called God but I believe...fill in what you believe here.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would just ignore it. Tell him how you believe how he was made and move on. You can go to the principal and make a big stink if you want. I wouldn't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• "I think you should complain. If the teacher wants to teach their belief to kids then they should go to a christian school... not a public school. "

I second this.

TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE GETTING PISSY AND ASKING IF THE TRUTH HURTS OR SUCH, HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF THIS WAS A WICCAN OR PAGAN, ETC AND THEY TOLD YOUR CHILD SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU BELIEVE? SAME DIFFERENCE IN THIS SITUATION!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Well, have you shared your belief with your son? Does your religion have an origin story? In what context did the teacher say this?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• To you ladies. Whether or not we do or do not believe or follow Christianity is not the issue at hand. They are NOT supposed to discuss it unless it is a religious class. They aren't supposed to impress their BELIEFS on any student only teach facts and ideas as presented in the curriculum. Unless she was going to include every other religion there is in the lesson, she needs to zip it.

I didn't like when the second grade teacher told my son's class that rap was wrong and evil and they shouldn't listen to it. My Mom HATES it with a passion, but, even she agreed that it wasn't the teachers place to tell the kids that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If it really bothered you so much,then gripe to the school about it.Me,I'd just have a talk with my child.There are many different beliefs out there and he's going to run into them in life sooner or later.My kids have come home telling me all kinds of stupid things teachers have said.To me,teachers should maintain their professionalism in the classroom and leave their personal views, or whatever,out of school.My son had a teacher who was using that Jenny Craig diet thing and that's all she'd talk about in class.I had a teacher in 9th grade who'd sit there and go on and on about strippers of all things! So,a little thing like "God made us",to me,is nothing to get riled up about!!
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 11:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I wonder the same thing. My son came home telling me about his teacher talking to them about how they need to obey God or some such talk. He is also in a PUBLIC school. I should complain.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have no issues with people telling my little ones what they think. Because I can counter with what I think. And let them know that people all believe different things. Seems easy enough. It is always something that we have discussed. My oldest is 5 and knows that as she grows up there are certain things that she will have to make decisions on and we will support those decisions no matter what.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think you should complain. If the teacher wants to teach their belief to kids then they should go to a christian school... not a public school.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010