What's MSG and why is it so bad for you?

MinniesMami

Asked by MinniesMami at 11:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Food & Drink

• its a flavor enhancer. a lot of people are allergic to it and get headaches from it. also, it's shown in test to trigger an addiction response and make you crave the food it is in, leading to unhealthy eating habits.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• wow teri, I didn't know all that about it...I knew it was a flavor enhancer but not the rest!
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• But why do people suggested I ate a lot of it to help me induce labor ( I didn't do it)? I didn't know it was that bad.

MinniesMami

Answer by MinniesMami at 11:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I have no clue hun. old wives tale probably. I've never heard of it making someone go into labor...

I have heard spicy foods can but the real reason that works is because your stomach and intestines can trigger uterun contractions. so upset tummy and diarrhea can sometimes start labor but more often than not your just on the toilet all day and not in labor
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• MSG = monosodium glutamate and yeahh it enhances the flavor of food. It can also make you dizzy and they're still doing research to see if people who consume alot of it tend to be more obese.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 11:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• never heard of it as a labor inducer.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• my sister ate something with msg and it made her go into anaphylactic (sp?) shock, and almost died, she didn't know it was in the food, until the hospital tested it and her .
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 1:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2008