Need support and anwers on helping my 13 year old daughter with a broken heart

She and her boyfriend broke up. she's devasted , and never wants to talk to me about it. What can i do?

peaceforlaura8

Asked by peaceforlaura8 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Just let her know that you are there for her if she needs to talk. Sometimes just knowing there is someone there "in case" makes me feel better.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• she will be over it before she knows it. 13 is too young IMO for a boyfriend though. My DD knows she cannot have one until she is 16 and we have to meet him if he wants to hang out with our DD at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't pressure her into talking about it, but just show her that you are there for her if she does ever want to talk. Does she have close friends that she could talk to?
    momof3blondies

Answer by momof3blondies at 11:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would just wait for her to come to you with it and when or if she does  empathize with her , give her advice, words of wisdom, share some of your own teenage heart break stories.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just listen, when she is ready she will come... I mean don't say: Are you alright? Do you want to talk? Ask her does she want to play a game, go for a walk or go grocery shopping. Go to the movies, or have popcorn and ask her too watch a movie with you.

I realize my daughter is too immature too take on that kind of load, she can have boy friends but not boyfriends get it... She gets nuts. LOL< She is doing well with it... :)

Good luck!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I had quite few broken hearts. The last person I would have turned to was my mother. She'll work it out herself. She'll find another boy to like. It's nice that you are there for her. But she might just need her friends right now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just be there for her when and if she wants to talk, otherwise, there is really not much you can do, this is the first of many to come.

Answer by older at 1:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think the biggest thing here is to acknowledge to her that while in the big picture WE all see that she'll move on before she knows it, right now, this is the biggest thing in her world. In her mind, she'll never be over it & no one will ever "love" her again.
    Don't push her to talk. Maybe, if you can, just take her out to do something special & unexpected. Get a quick manicure or go out to lunch just the 2 of you. Don't talk about him unless she brings it up. Just to show her that you are there for her, you love her and you recognize how real this is to her.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thank you all so very much, Ill be in touch. I left out that She's too young for a compassioate relationship, its just her first puupy love. He broke it off with her twice in 2 weeks. They where best friends since kindergarden, and being going out per say (kids now a days) for
    9 mounths. I loved all your answers. So glad I found this site.
    God bless and thanks so much.
    Laura
    peaceforlaura8

Comment by peaceforlaura8 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• tryy sending her an email or writing a letter its soo much eaiser to talk and share feelings when u dont have to sayy things out loud.
    babyy_blue_eyes

Answer by babyy_blue_eyes at 3:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010