My son is jerking in his sleep???

My child does this constant jerking of his entire body in his sleep-is this normal?

dcsmommie

Asked by dcsmommie at 3:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• On occasion mere anxiety may cause such jerks, although in that case one would expect them when you are nervous, stressed, and anxious, not as you are falling asleep or relaxed. Stress will, however, often worsen such jerks even in those with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy and other myoclonus-producing disorders. If you feel your symptoms are progressing, I would certainly see a neurologist soon, so that the problem can be quickly diagnosed and treated to whatever extent possible. This is particularly important for juvenile myoclonic epilepsy, as you don't want your first seizure to occur, for instance, while you're in your car or at the top of a flight of stairs etc.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• this is the link I copy the excerpt above from
    -
    body spasms/jerking - Neurology Forum
    Question Title: body spasms/jerking. Forum: Neurology Forum Topic: Sleep ... until sleep disorders have been eliminated; however, his comments have left me ...
    www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/archive/2409.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• i would have him see a doctor just incase it could be anixety or his dreams or many things?
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• well i just had him on june 24th, however i experienced much stress during my pregnancy, and i jump and jerk in my sleep. i just home it doesn't become something that is wrong with me that now has caused my son to have issues. i'd feel so guilty.
    dcsmommie

Answer by dcsmommie at 11:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• It could be anxiety or it could be as simple as he is dreaming. My daughter jerked when she was a newborn and we asked the docter and come to find out she was just dreaming. Now my husband and I try to guess what she is dreaming about. Stay calm about it because your son will sense your nervousness and play off of it. If you are worried as the doctor but don't assume the worse!
    zlcjones

Answer by zlcjones at 11:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2008