Why would any mom suggest to another new mom ...

to NOT take prenatal classes? Is there any logic in this? Yes, I read on another post several other moms telling a first time mom she didn't need to take any classes. Even if that was your opinion for yourself, why would you tell someone else that, to NOT educate themselves? Don't you feel you owe it to yourself and your baby to learn SOMETHING about how your body works even if you aren't planning a "natural" birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would always suggest checking with your hospital for what kind of educational classes they have to offer. Ours even has ones designed for young parents and ones just for dads. They are all free also. It never hurts to be educated. But we have to remember that everyone has there own opionion and is entitled to there own. We can't force ours on someone else. It isn't fair, its just overbearing.
    merechele

Answer by merechele at 7:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think perhaps that you may be taking things out of context and misconstruing them. Taking prenatal classes is a choice. I never took prenatal classes of any sort and I like to think that I am a good, devoted and loving mother. Maybe some people just don't think they are a necessity...

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I learned how a female's body works from my mother and schooling. Telling a mother that a prenatal class isn't a necessity is NOT telling them not to educate themselves. There are other ways of getting information and knowledge.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I agree with Avasmommy.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I 100% agree with Avasmommy as well. I took a prenatal class (as it was mandatory for the office that my OB/midwife was in) but I can say that I did not learn one thing that I didn't already know (I'm not saying I know everything, but that I was already educated from schooling, researching, other personal experiences from loved ones, etc etc).
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 12:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I took a prenatal class put on by the hospital where I gave birth... but it was CRAP! a whopping 10 minutes on breathing techniques and let me tell ya when I went in when I was in early labor at 34 weeks I had a very rude wake up call. I didnt have a CLUE how to cope. I went on line and basically took classes on line and 3 days later when active labor hit I was ready. So I could understand someone saying taking control of your own education is more important than signing up for a class
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I didn't take prenatal classes and I don't suggest others moms to either. They are pointless. Instead, I suggest books and websites for women to visit or even just groups on here in order to educate themselves. I spent hours with my son researching everything.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I don't agree with the previous posters. I'm assuming by prenatal class you mean childbirth class, which is what they call it here. My dh and I didn't go once a week for a month we opted for the all day Saturday class, but it was a great help. We were able to tour the hospital facility and see where we would be for birth and what all the equipment was. They did go over relaxation techniques, what to pack for the hospital. What to look for when going into labor, what to do when it happens like when to leave and who to call. I think the best thing about the class was it gave my husband a better idea of what was really going on the pregnancy and birth. Some of the information I all ready knew but it was nice refresher as well.
    merechele

Answer by merechele at 7:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i agree with merechele. first time moms aren't going to hurt themselves by looking into their options. they might hurt themselves by not. and any nosey people out there telling them to NOT go as OP is suggesting need to keep their opinion to themselves since it isn't their pregnancy. there are so many different kinds of classes out there but oh well some people don't want to learn anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2008