Plumbers broke a Pipe while fixing one. What to do?

After putting up with brown water. We called a plumber. One came out and said we needed help. The next day 2 come out. I overhear them yell to each other about a Animal. A huge rock they can't move! So I tell DH to ask about it. They deny this. Later on as they are doing stuff outside. One drops a rock out of the backhoe bucket and breaks a pipe of ours. We let them have some pipe of ours to patch it. We get the bill. We're charged for 3 men out when only 2 came out for 4 1/2 hours. Now that makeshift pipe they broke is leaking. Now What? We're charged for 3 men & now have a broken pipe they broke! A large bill! I'm battling TN Breast cancer. We have no money and are experiencing hardships. We're not dispuiting we own them. But not for 3 men when there was only 2. And what about now our Broken pipe? I can't make calls I am fragile and emotional and cry over the littlest of things being in unbearable pain. What to do? Thanks

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I am so sorry for all you are going through right now. I would ask hubby to call them. There is no reason for them to bill you for using your materials to fix something they broke. He can let them know either they remove the charge or they can go to small claims court. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• As much as you may not want to you need to make a phone call or SO could make a phone call and talk to the owner. Hopefully it was not the owner that was on the call. Let them know the situation, billing discrepancy and them being at fault for breaking the one pipe and now it is leaking. Typically they will do whatever they need to to make the customer happy and right whatever is wrong. If they do not you could pursue it by suing them. Obviously that would be time and money consuming which does not sound like you have the ability to do, I am not sure if that would be worth it to you guys or not. Also let them know if they do not fix it that you are going to report them to the Better Business Bureau hopefully that will motivate them a little more.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Have your hubby rip them a new one! I'm sure with what you all are going through he has a lot of repressed anger to let out and they deserve it! I would have him call them and get them to correct how many people were there and then explain to them how unprofessional and sloppy their workers were! Mention that they BROKE a pipe and used your materials to fix it and that it is now leaking as well!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Mybe to start, get your husband to call the office and talk to them about the bill. Tell them there wer only two people and they broke the pipe. Threaten them that if they don't straighten it out, you will take it further. Just see where it goes from there. Good luck.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010