going to a meeting about speech in school? are there any questions I should ask?

My son goes to speech at a rehab center once a week and Im trying to get him in speech through the school system. Is there any questions I should ask? Ive never been to a meeting like this before.

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 11:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They will probably be asking you a bunch of questions and set up a time to test him at the school. That's what they did with my son. You could ask him approximately how long speech sessions last and how often he can expect to go to them. You can ask if it's one on one or with peers. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. We are going through this too. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son has been in a IEP classes at school since he started in Kindergarten. They work with him once or twice a week and usually it's with one to two other kids in the class( that is having the same problem that your child is having) - My son has the problem of however HE says a word and how ever HE hears it - that is the way HE spelles it. Also, He loved to read in Kindergarten and first grade and by second grade he didn't want to anymore. I started buying books of things that I knew he was interested in. Thomas the train,the B Bears, Big Red Dog, ETC.
    So, this year (he's in the 4th grade) I had his hearing checked and then his speech (State of Ohio pays for that) He's been in there for aleast two weeks and he seems to be like it!. hope this helps.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 12:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Thanks so much. I go completely blank when I go to these meetings. I will write these questions down.
    mandynjohnsmom

Comment by mandynjohnsmom (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I know how you feel. =) My son is turning 3 this weekend and the following week his speech therapy will be switched to the school and he'll start preschool. I have a meeting to go to Thursday and I have no idea what to expect at this one. Good luck!!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010