Is it ok to let one or both twins cry for a little when they are 3 months old or less? It's so hard to constantly console one and then the other all day long even after they've had all their needs met!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• girl yes or you are going to end up like me and they will think they need to cry for every little thing. i am try9ing to break mine now cause daddy has taught her to cry when she wants something.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 11:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You need to let them cry it out a little (painful, I know!) or they wont learn how to be self consoling. If you've meet their needs and they still cry, let them cry! With twins, maybe you could let them cry in separate rooms so they aren't working off of one another?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes that is ok, it will not hurt them. Your mommy, you know when their cry changes from I want attention to I NEED something. You have to keep your sanity : )
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 12:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't at that age.
    Anonymous

• you dont want to run to them every time they cry because they will think you will come every time they do. it is also good for their lungs to get built up
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thank you, that makes me feel better. I went out with some friends this weekend and they were saying that they run to their baby every time they cry even a little- it made me feel like a horrible mom cause I can't possibly do that with two-especially one that is super fussy and wants to be held every second. They do totally get used to be held and then expect it every time!!
    lstanczak

Answer by lstanczak at 12:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think it's fine.  I say that as my almost 4mo is crying on the floor next to me.  He's mad because he rolled onto his stomach and can't figure out how to get back over.  I usually let him cry a minute or two and see if he figures out how to roll back.  Then I flip him over.  Doesn't help that he's tired, too.  If he would just go to sleep he'd be fine, lol.

Well, gotta go flip him.  He's getting really mad.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If you're right there and have been trying, yes. I wouldn't walk away unless it was a dire emergency. But if youwere already away when the crying started and CANNOT get to them that instant? They'll live until you do get there. Intentional CIO is not recommended till six months.

And NO, responding to a baby's cries is NOT teaching them a bad habit! This is NORMAL BEHAVIOR for an infant. Unless that infant is born speaking, they are BORN knowing to cry for what they want... it's their only form of communication. You cannot teach them to do it. You CAN teach them that no one will answer.

(And no, it doesn't build the lungs. It does irritate the throat.)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i have twins that are 3 months old. i dont do CIO BUT i do realize that i am only one person and if im feeding one and the other wants to be held, well then he'll have to wait.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 2:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I let my 2 1/2 month old cry for a while sometimes. If I'm right in the middle of something and want to finish or if I'm in the bathroom or whatever. It's perfectly ok within reason. I've found that she sometimes needs to get more pissed off before I can fix her. It's like at first she's upset because of a specific thing and I can't figure out what it is. If she cries a little more it's like whatever I do is better than nothing so she's fine. That may seem bad but she's never uncontrollably crying or anything.
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 11:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010