Have you ever been on foodstamps? Were you embarrassed?

We might need food stamps for a month or so, just until we catch up on bills. DH's hours at work were cut and he found a part time job to help make up for it, but he doesn't start for a couple weeks so it's going to be tight until then. Anyway I did an online qualifying thing for my state and we'd qualify for foodstamps right now if we decide to get them.I feel stupid for saying this...but I'm kind of embarrassed. I know I shouldn't care what other people think but I know they'll see me with me 2 year old and pregnant again and assume I live off the government and what not. That's not the case at all, I didn't plan for all this to happen, I mean a year ago we had a couple thousands in savings! Has anyone ever been embarrassed while on them? I'm hoping that if we do get them and after I use them for the first time I'll see it's no big deal..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Oh yes! I have them and I was really embarrassed at 1st. But I was pregnant and I had to put my unborn child first. He needed food! It's kind of nerve wracking the 1st time you do it...but it's not a bad thing! Those programs are out there for people who need them. If you need them then hold your head up high and just go get your 2 year old some food.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:11 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Yea no big deal. My husband and I have been on foodstamps ever since my daughter was born. We are both students and she is now 2. anyways, at first its a bit embarrassing and you dont want to come off as Im poor and need tax payers money, etc. But the checkers dont care and they just look at your food stamp card and you type in your pin, ( its like a Cebit card) . Eventually you will just go through it as fast as you think you need to do but nobody notices. Also alot of grocery stores have self checkout which if you feel timid about it then go through that. Let me tell you a story....look at the next one donwn...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I just recently got them, and yeah, I was terrified to use them for the first time. I've only made three transactions with my card so far, and I've been kind of nervous each time...for no good reason, I know I know lol. But I agree with Krystal, you have to put your babies first! I'm pregnant with my first and I know the help I'm receiving is really for her.

I don't think many people actually know what the EBT card looks like. If they do, most people don't care. When I used to work at Walgreens, I had lots and lots of people come through with the cards and I didn't judge them any differently than the people that paid with credit cards or cash. I promise, your fears of being judged will fade after you get used to having the card. It really is a great useful tool if you use it wisely :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:18 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• the other day i forgot my pin and I was scambling with it and had to call the 1-800 number and type in all this new info... Call my husband for his SS# and so on... I hekd up the line for my foodstamps! It was awfully embarrassing and I turned red and started to sweat! lol! I was saying sorry to the checker and she was so nice and was like oh no prob. Finally i got it all figured out, thank God! And on I went. When i got in the car I wrote down the new pin and thought I shouldnt have been embarrassed, because the checker was so kind and really didnt care about the FS. so anyways ... just remember you pin!! lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• oh yea and my sister works at a grocery and is a checker and she said you would be suprised how many people use FS. she said alot of people do that you would never expect but they do. she said its no big deal that she doesnt even think about it. so Dont worry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My husband was laid off from a great paying job lately. So, for the first time in a long time we had to go back on food stamps. He now has another job but it pays no where near what the other paid. From childhood I have been "in the system", so to speak. It doesn't really effect me anymore. I have learn that no matter what you tell people they are going to judge so it doesn't matter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• EBT cards look like debit cards. No one knows you are using one except the cashier checking you out. It isn't like it used to be when you had to use paper food stamps and everyone in line behind you saw that you were using food stamps. I lost my job 8 months ago. My unemployment is $30 too much a month to qualify for food stamps. Unemployment only covers my mortgage and electric and nothing else.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i am not to embarrassed any more... the only time it really sucks is when i get weird looks from the cashier... i buy food in bulk for the month... i bought over $200 worth of meat last month(enough to last the winter) i do this because after our baby is born we will possibly be making too much money to get food stamps anymore... when i go back to work...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I work and I qualify for food stamps so if anyone gives me crap about getting them I tell them to f**k off .I actually told my step mom this when she was giving me crap about her and Dad never having to get them . Well 1. They did not raise me . Mom did and she had to get FS b/c Dad did not pay child support because all of his money went to buying stepmom new clothes/cars/jewelry and to her kids and grandkids . 2. I freaking work I am not living off the system b/c I am lazy. I am working the jobs I am qualified for based on my educational level .Mom was unable to pay for college .I cannot afford to go back to school at the moment b/c I ahve to work as much as possible to get the bills paid .
    So no I am not embarassed to get them part of my taxes are paying for what I am recieving . As long as I work and still qualify I do no will not feel bad or embarrassed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I had them about 2 years ago, they are not as embarrasing as they use to be. When I was a kid it was a book of different colored ones based on what their value. It looked like Monopoly money kind of. Now though its like a credit or a bank card, its not so embarrasing. Everyone needs help from time to time, so don't feel so bad about it.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2008