Have you noticed our education system has not changed in the last 80 years?

Every thing around us has changed and evolved. Our communication systems, our transportation, Housing, nursing, libraries, even museums have changed. Yet our education system is the same... What are you thoughts on this?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't believe that at all. It has changed a lot, unfortunately not for the better.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Where I live the school system is significantly different than it was 20 or 30 years ago, so I'm assuming the differences between today and 80 years ago are even more striking.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I attended the same, girls private prep school that my daughter attended, only 30 years earlier. Many of the classes taught were using the exact same material, from the same instructors, as when I attended. Substitute typing and short hand for some computer and tech classes, and add a layer of AP courses (there were no AP courses in the early 70s), and our educations were very, very similar. I consider the education that we received to be very good-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Fifty or so years ago, when local control of schools was in vogue, the teachers and administrators where accountable to the parents and tax payers. The responsibilities of the students to always do their very best was taken for granted by student, faculty and parent. There was respect for authority because of the close working relationship between education and the parent/taxpayer community. This cannot be done with a federally centralized "Board of Education" and that simple remedy of letting communities guide their educational system would dramatically improve the quality and outcomes for our students. That is why homeschooling flourishes. Centralized anything is always less efficient than local control over something as important as our children. Vouchers should be encouraged as a way to allow parents to straighten up school districts and improve their schools...or they lose students.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 1:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Schools have changed. they didn;t used to teach sex ed as they do now for one thing. It used to be that girls and boys learned about puberty in seperate rooms, now they learn pretty much everything concerning sexuality by the time they're 13 yrs old. There are things that are taught now that were not taught years ago because we didn't have the technology in the first place. They also didn't push kids to learn things as young as they do now. As for the education system in general....the children's rights laws have affected that. Years ago teachers, school admins, etc were respected and they had the authority to take action where needed. The laws these days make it difficult, at best, for teachers to maintain discipline. Sure they can suspend a student but unfornatly, that's exactly what some kids want. As a result, students are disrepectful of a teacher's authority and teacher's find it increasingly difficult to actually teach
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• there have been many changes in teaching styles, philosophy, curriculum, technology, laws around education.

in what way are you saying it's unchanged?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Our school system, IMO, is very advanced compared to other school systems I've seen. We have computer screens in the hallways like at the airports that run data and news for students, and updates for school activites the kids are bombarded with news from the school all the time. they all have access to their own computer in school and everything is completed or turned in by thumbdrive or email, or typed report. Teachers correspond with parents real time by email or text and receive email and text all day long. I receive an all call on my cell phone every evening from all 3 schools informing me of the days events and any important events the following day. School lunch payments are done online, reports and grades are done online, homework assignments are done online, School today is nothing like what it was years ago.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Where exactly do you live that you think they haven't changed?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• What I find most appalling is that no matter how much money has been thrown at schools, that national test scores have remained virtually unchanged in the past THIRTY YEARS!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The education system has changed, just not for the better. The US has the worst school system in the world. If you want a good read about the US Education system, read "Waiting for Superman". The ed system has been failing since the 70's!! IF the US replaced the bottom 6-10% of teachers with mediocre/average teachers, the US system could catch up with Finland, which is the BEST education system in the world.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010