pictures of deceased in caskets- adult content

I've read yet another letter of someone who was given a picture of a loved one in a casket and got upset.

I think that you can do whatever you wish to comfort yourself when you've lost a loved one, and if that means taking pictures, then fine.
But I don't understand why in the world someone would give another a picture like that without asking if they are interested first. I would find it very upsetting to say the least.

any thoughts?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't understand them period. there must be plenty of pictures of that person alive. why would you want to remember them in a casket?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I suspect the person who took the picture probably thinks of it as such a helpful thing that it wouldn't even have crossed their mind that it might not be received well. People often get really WEIRD about death, and EVERYONE needs to cut everyone else a whole LOT of slack.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• They were probably just trying to be helpful. I do find those kind of pictures creepy though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If you google "death portraits" you will find out the meaning behind pictures of your loved ones at their funneral. It's actually a very meaningful picture, and so I don't see why people get upset.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 12:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• people dont thnk before they act. people are stupid sometimes though.
    beautifulkirei

Answer by beautifulkirei at 12:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't see the point. I'd rather have pictures of them when they're alive.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• As long as they told me what it was before hand I wouldnt be upset. I would be upset that they passed but not upset at the picture itself
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just wanted to add. A friend of mine posted a picture of her grandfather in his casket on facebook just a few days ago. Any thoughts on that? just curious.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• ive taken pictures but never sent them to someone else. Some people dont realize I guess how upsetting this could be.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 12:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• "If you google "death portraits" you will find out the meaning behind pictures of your loved ones at their funneral. It's actually a very meaningful picture, and so I don't see why people get upset. "

people usually seem to get upset by the shock. Many people don't want to see their loved one in the caskets at all and find it disrespectful and upsetting when someone forces then to see the deceased by giving them that picture.
    they don't want the last image of their loved one to be after they had died.

ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010