Thanksgiving is coming up and family is going to be around...

How do you deal with difficult family members? Any coping mechanisms you would care to share?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• if someone could answer this one easily they'd be a billionaire! :)

If everyone is going to be under one roof, I say just do all you can to deal with it all and remember that it's only one day.

and perhaps hide all sharp instruments until everyone goes home :) for what it's worth, some of my favorite family stories come from the days when things were hectic and difficult, not when everyone was sitting around singing Cum Ba Ya. Which never happened at any of my family functions anyway!
    I say hectic family functions are the stuff that memories and traditions are made of! I now live over 1800 miles from most of my family, and though I enjoy my new found peace, at the holidays I often miss the hectic and loud surroundings.
    Just do what you can to enjoy it all, one day the kids will be grown, nagging grandmothers will be gone, and arguing uncles may not remember you.
    just have all the fun you can~
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Ignore, as impossible as you may think it is. You can do it...

Chat a bit and keep it movin on to the next member of the family, have your other half know when to interupt about the kids or pull you aside for something.

Ahhh, excuse me hunny come here for a minute it is about the kids, and then try to avoid them until they start chatting with someone else. LOL< I do it all the time... :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My dh family thinks holidays revolve around them. We always go to their house. They use the excuse that our house isn't big enough. They live 30 min from us and haven't been here in about 3 years, Sorry, had to vent. If it was up to me, we would have ours here and that would be it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• How do I deal with drama family members....????

1 part Vodka
    3 parts Cranberry Juice
    1 splash of O.J over ice...
    ENJOY!!!!!

margarita time

LOL... I only have one family member who tends to cause drama, but I have
    been told that she isn't coming this yr to Christmas dinner...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I honestly don't have any difficult family members. My husbands family is amazing and the majority of my family gets along. We all have our drama here and there, but it has no place in our lives near the holidays :)
    Raging.Pink

Answer by Raging.Pink at 12:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Be civil, but generally don't bother with them. There's only one person I can think of that gets annoying and that's DH's little sister. But if you don't feed into her she eventually gives up the attention whoring. Then she's pleasent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Me and my husband don't have to worry about dealing with our families on thanksgiving and I don't have to worry about dealing with my in laws becasue we go out to eat on Thanksgiving.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i just smile and stay away from them
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I just ignore them!
    Serenity_Angel

Answer by Serenity_Angel at 10:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010