How can I get my 5 year old excited about being a big brother?

I have about 7 months to get him onboard. LOL. He and I have been on our own for most of his life and he welcomed my fiance with open arms, but he is not accepting the idea of another baby. What can I do to assure him that this is a good thing?

LSUFFMomma

Asked by LSUFFMomma at 12:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Assure him that you will always be there for him and tell him now instead of looking out for just you, he needs to be a big boy and look out for you and the baby..

Encourage him by saying he is going to be a great helper, and mommy will appreciate that get him involved and be sure to tell him you will still have alone time with him, discuss that with your mate.

Explain he was once little and now he is big and can do this and that, and if he don't mind teaching the baby all the good stuff he learned when he was ready that would be great.

Good luck and God Bless
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• When my 4 year old was about to be a big brother i got him the book I'm A Big Brother by Joanna Cole and we read it alot...he really liked it!
    waleb1002

Answer by waleb1002 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Give him examples of the good parts. Depending on how your run your family, he may be able to play with new (baby) toys - btw my 6yo loves her little sister's toys :) He may also be able to teach the little one something, he will get to stay up later, etc. Maybe he get's to do 'date night' now with your or you SO... that is something new and exciting.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• These are some awesome ideas! I can't wait to see what else comes in. I am def going to get that book and I can't wait to try all these tips. THANKS! I feel better just reading this.
    LSUFFMomma

Comment by LSUFFMomma (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Check to see if your local hospital has a siblings class. We took ours to it and he loved it. They talked about the different feelings he might be having and showed them how to diaper and swaddle a baby. They gave them hair covers and masks for the hospital tour. Very cute.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• To be honest, the real work comes when the baby arrives. You can prepare him the best you can, but it probably isn't "real" for him no matter how much you talk about it now. And you want to take his cues. If you're doing all this stuff and talking to him and he's resisting, lay off baby talk for a while, you'll just be building the resentment. If he's interested and asking questions and seems excited, that's fantastic, include him more and have him help you buy diapers and pick out pacifiers or whatever.

My middle son HATED the idea of a baby. So we didn't push it, just would talk briefly about some of the changes and put him in charge of picking out her binky's. Once the baby arrived, he still was frosty to her. So we didn't push her on him at all. We didn't fuss over her when he was around. It took about three weeks and he has been smitten ever since - she's his "pretty princess".
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Kfree907 has some great ideas! Our girl was 5 when our son was born. We focused on her big-kid-ness so that she didn't regress. Another thing I read and has worked really well, and is so simple....when I got home each day (hubby was a SAHD) I greeted my 5 year old before the baby, even though the baby was screaming or what not. The baby didn't remember being slighted and made to wait, but the 5 year old would have remembered and resented it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think the expectation and idea of having another child in teh family is really scary to a child. Sometimes they won't really see how it really will be until the baby is actually there. All you can do is make sure to spend as much time wiht him as you can, and assure him that he is loved and you are always there.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2010