Should I put keystroke software on my computer to monitor 10 yr old?

My daughter's father has set her up with a "secret" Facebook page that I do not have any information about. I know that he is coercing her about going to live with him in another state. Should I monitor keystrokes to get the login so I can see what they're doing? Anyone know about privacy issues or any good (but free or reasonably priced) software for this?

pocololo

Asked by pocololo at 12:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes. It's against TOS for someone of that age to have a Facebook account.
    Anonymous

• whatS TOS?
    pocololo

Comment by pocololo (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would, just keep in mind that it will fill up your hard drive pretty quickly, and that if your daughter is against it, then she may beat you to deleting the info that the software collects.
    which many kids do.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It's your daughter, take control. Either put the computer away or start grounding her until she gives up the password.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yes and it is against (TOS) Terms of Service for her to have one...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Your daughter's father shouldn't have setup the Facebook account in the first place. The only thing is, she might try to set up her own by lying about her age. Look around on the internet and see if you can find something that will monitor her internet usage instead. If you can't find something you like, tell her she can't use the internet until she gives up her password. You do have a right to look and see what she is doing. Her father shouldn't be going behind your back setting up an account that isn't exactly age appropriate for her.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:03 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sure, set up a keystroke monitor. What about telling her that she needs to be up front with you about all of her passwords. Otherwise she loses her privileges. Give her a choice. Give me your passwords or you can't use the computer. If I find you have used any computer...school free time, library, friends...you are grounded from those activities which provide access.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• absolutely. why can't he keep in touch with her by phone. the old fashion way. I think 10 is too young to have and fb account. .
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Try logging in with bogus passwords a few times, it will automatically lock up her Fb account, never to b used again.
    Staceystep

Answer by Staceystep at 7:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My kids are only allowed to use the internet under the conditions that I have a list of all user names and passwords. I have told them that if they change the passwords and don't tell me then I will just disconnect the internet.
    badmoparmom

Answer by badmoparmom at 11:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2010