How much should I charge for in home child care?

I am a stay at home mom with an almost 4 year old. My friend is going back to work and asked me to watch her kids 3 days a week from about 7:30 am to 4 or 5 pm. Her children are a 3 1/2 year old boy and a 1 year old little girl. The boy is potty trained, I guess it goes without saying that the girl is not. We want to do a weekly rate so that we don't have to keep records of exact hours since some days she will pick them up earlier then others. I will be expected to provide breakfast and lunch for both children. How much should I charge per week for this. I am doing this as a way to earn extra income for my family without having to leave home which would mean having to put my own child in day care. I would like feedback from anyone but please say whether you are child care giver, a parent paying for child care or just someone who has and idea of what they think would be fair. Thank you :)

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• when i was a sahm i watched my brothers kids for the summer, it was from 8am-5pm, he did bring a loaf of bread& ham& drinks for them , she was 5& he was 6. but i still cooked& i got paid $100 a week, here in texas daycare is like $70-80 for kids that age& about $130 for kids 2& under, not all day cares charge that though.Idk how much daycare runs where you are at.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There are so many factors to include when creating a price list. I worked in child care centers for 4+ years. I never did in home care, but did look into starting a few years ago. Infant-age 1 I would say $120/week for full-time. 1-3, $100/week full time. 3-school age, $90/week full time. School age, $50/week full time. Part time care I would cut the prices by 30-40%. And then you figure if you will include a family rate. I was going to do family rate and parents would pay full price for the youngest child and get discounts on the other childrens weekly rates.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I pay $30 a day for an unlicensed in home daycare provider. I thinks it's fairly reasonable.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010