When do you keep them home?

DD is 4 and attends preschool. Almost since the beginning of the school year, she periodically had a runny nose and/or cough. If what comes out of her nose is green or yellow, I'll keep her home. If her cough interferes with her daily activity or actually turns into a coughing fit I'll keep her home. Definitely if she has a fever, she stays home.

I've heard so many complain that if your kid is sick you need to keep them home...but yet if I I didn't send her for every runny nose or cough, she'd NEVER go to school.

How do you know whether to send your kid to school?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 12:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Health

• fever = stay home, up most of the night = stay home, sniffles and cough = go to school.

Many school districts have a new rule that you child must be fever free without use of meds for 24 hours before being aloud to go back to school, this started last year with the H1N1 season
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son is 2 but he's the same way when it comes to day care AND we still have to pay if we keep him home sick. I'm like you though, if it's not clear and he's really "acting" sick then he stays home but a clear runny nose and occasional cough is fine. I think a lot of those time it ends up just being allergies anyway.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• well a runny nore doesnt necesarily mean that they are sick. my 3 year old has a faucet for a nose, but isnt sick, even though all his snot can make him cough as well. you will be able to tell the difference in them if they are really not feeling well. thats when i keep them home.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i dealw ith this often esp my kids all have asthma and it is worse in the fall and winter. i go with all of what you said. one day last week, i let her stay home 2 hours -did her breathing treatments and gave her motrin. she had been coughing all night. already missed 4 days so i decided late was better than not at all. she had no fever and it was more astham driven. our allergist's nurse was amazing tlaked to me on phone and she got a medication to relive the cough and didnt miss anymore school. i am also trying gummy vitamins to make sure she has all the vitamins she needs. go with your gut feeling and try to get her to wash often. we live in a cold climate at this time of year so my dd seems to be sick on anf off from sept-march and it breaks my heart.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• When she has a fever or can barely function. My daughter Ally woke up this morning with a cough and a little sniffle she said she didn't feel good (but I caught her running from the kitchen to the bedroom to get her clothes) I just took her temp, no fever, gave her some cough meds and send her to school. I figured if she was worse then I though the school will call me.
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 2:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• you should call the preschool and ask them to keep your child home. They can help you so you won't get that call to pick them up, because they are sick
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010