for those of u who had STUBBORN potty trainers...

what did u do? i am at a loss. my dd who is 3 refuses to go when we are at home. if we are in public, she will go all day long without a single accident. so i kno she knows how to do it... what did u do to stop the laziness? i have tried treats. i am at a loss. and i really dont wanna do what some ppl suggested by throwing her in a cold shower every time she has an accident. plz help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can make her accidents more inconvenient for her without having it come off like a punishment. When she has an accident, say something like, "Oh no, that must feel terrible," and then have her do the clean up (even if it makes the real clean up worse for you) and carry her wet clothes to the laundry room. She'll miss out on more playtime if she has to clean up each time, and at some point she'll hopefully realize it's in her best interest to just go use the potty.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Ahh not sure I have a stubborn 2 yo that will only pee on the potty if he is naked... lol
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• oh wow, who in their right mind would put their child in a cold shower for having an accident? i dont think thats something to be punished for.
    my son is 3 and does the same type of thing, he loves public restrooms, i dont know why, but he likes going pee in them, at home, not a chance. i can get him to poo in the potty at home, and he knows what hes supposed to do, but just chooses not too.
    i just dont push him, i tell him things like big boys go in the potty and stuff like that, i def try not to make it a bad experience by punishing or anything, they will do it on their own time, and not amoment sooner. i just figure he cant pee his pants forever.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son pretty much refused to potty train, until he had a sleepover with an older child who was fully potty trained. After that, he stopped going in his pull-ups and used the toilet full time. Peer pressure worked for us :)
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i did that phase. she will go like that, but i cant have her running around all the time half naked, and even recently if i try that, she will just go to the corner or something and pee. can u see my frustration?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would NEVER throw her in a cold shower... that's just horrible!

My 3 yr old did EVERYTHING in the booka nd nothing worked! She finally just decided to start going on her own one day. I honestly have no advice becase some kids are just headstrong to stick to their guns.

GL!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• tweenandtwin, thats sounds like something that might just work. i will try that...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i have boys i tried everything but i made a game out of it but they are boys i put cheerios in the totliet and told him to aim he has to sink them, but for a girl im not to sure but u can offer other things and denie her the things she likes most if she dont use the potty thats what i had to do
    nitamae86

Answer by nitamae86 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I backed off and let him have control. Worked like a charm. He potty trained in 2 weeks. Peer pressure never worked b/c he is too stubborn for that. I never punished for accidents. I always told him, " That is okay, we will try again next time."
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son just turned 4 and has no interest in the potty. He is on the autism spectrum. I sure hope he shows interest soon.
    missourimommy81

Answer by missourimommy81 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010