Friends with older kids

I had kids alot later then some of my friends so my child doesn't have any buddies really. There are kids on the street but no one really socializes too much or there is an age differences. I know things will change once she is in Kindergarten & for now its just her lil' brother & family at her bdays. I take care of the kids f/t and although she has been to play groups ya just don't get to know the kids/parent that good. You in the same boat?? I know she will have a ton of friends at school.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 2 year old is having the same issue. When my 6yo was younger she had lots of friends from daycare, but now my 2yo doesn't go to daycare, so no friends for her. I am not too worried - she will catch up in kindergarten. I think other things, like church or parties will help her enough until then.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i wouldnt worry too much. can you join a moms club or group in your area for socialization with similar aged kids? i had kids earliuer than most of the parents nearby so now my youngest(6) has friends from school- all their siblngs are younger as the 5/6 yo are their oldest. i havea 10 and 11 yo so we dont fit in with most of the extra curricular activities the other moms do but i am ok and my kids are too.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My 4yo doesn't really have any friends of her own but she enjoys hanging out with her older siblings and their friends and, for the most part, the big kids don't seem to mind (they are 8, 9 and 10).  Yesterday I threw an impromptu birthday party for my middle daughter (she turns 8 today) and there were 7 girls and 3 boys there including my kids.  The girls were 11, 10, 10, 8, 7, 5 and 4.  The boys were all 9.  It was crazy but cute to see the big kids trying to involve the two youngest kids.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I was only friends with kids that were older then me or younger simply because for the first 5 years of my life I was the only child and the only people to play with we adults and as I got older kids my own age annoyed me simply because they were also so "stupid" for lack of better words, wait immature may be a better word! I hated high school because none of the kids would "grow up" and they all acted like they were two.
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 1:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010