Did you use mild painkillers while Pregnant?

Use of mild painkillers such as paracetamol, aspirin and ibuprofen during pregnancy may partly account for a sharp increase in male reproductive disorders in recent decades, according to a study published on Monday.

The research found that women who took a combination of more than one mild analgesic during pregnancy had an increased risk of giving birth to sons with undescended testicles.

This condition, called cryptorchidism, is known to be a risk factor for poor semen quality and a greater risk of testicular cancer. The study found that the risk of cryptorchidism was especially increased during the second trimester, the fourth to sixth months of pregnancy.

The researchers from Finland, Denmark and France, whose work was published in the Human Reproduction journal, said more studies were urgently needed and advice to pregnant women on use of painkillers should be reconsidered.

"Women may want to try to reduce th

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh wow. I took Tylenol when I was pregnant because my doctor said that was the only thing I could take. I didn't take a lot of it though. My son seems to be fine, as far as I know. That's very interesting. Hope they will get more information. Thanks for the info!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No And I didn't drink any alcohol either. There was study released this weekend with regards to safe alcohol consumption during pregnancy.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No. When I was pregnant with my oldest, I missed the last basement step and completely ripped up my ankle. The ER doctor was trying to get me to take pain killers, but it wasn't worth it to think that something *might* happen. I was crying just at the thought of the ankle being x-rayed while I was pregnant.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No... I don't trust anything that hasn't been around for about a century...and proven safe...

I did have an occasional tylenol, but when I had trouble sleeping, the doctor told me to take tylenol PM, and I said, you are nuts.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I tried to use natural methods of pain relief as much as possible, but lucky for me my migraines improved while I was pregnant (unfortunately they came right back later) or it probably would have been more. I think I can count on one hand how many times I took acetaminophen through the whole pregnancy, usually for a sinus headache that didn't improve with things like steam, a neti pot, heat and/or ice, rest, etc. The only thing I took regularly was Claritin (because Clarinex was not ok) and I have bad allergies, and I also used Tums on a couple occasions. Other than that, I tried to stay clear of most meds, even ones that were on the ok list from the OB.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• sister all the docs I spoke to said small amounts of alcohol were OK,,,,,Why risk it?? I wouldn't take a sip...pain relievers either but thats because I dont normally anyway unless REALLY needed,,,I think some people just pop a pill for everything

Ash, its so scarey to think what we think (and told by dr.'s) is OK then a few years later..something else comes out!

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I had to take a baby aspirin everyday with both of my pregnancies to prevent blood clotting which could result in miscarriage or even death in my case. I'd rather have my baby and be alive. :) I think that's all I took when I was pregnant with my son. There may have been an occassional Tylenol thrown in there, but I don't remember. WIth my daughter, I was getting horrible headaches in my 1st trimester, and Tylenol was not cutting it. My doctor told me I could Advil up until my 20th week as long as I didn't overdo it (like take 6 Advil everyday). I think I only needed to take Advil once or twice.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Journey, I had to take baby aspirin too, and give myself Heparin shots. That's to protect the baby and yourself, which is way different than taking pills for every little ache or something.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I had a blood clot on my uterus while pregnant with my daughter and they were going to give me something.After 3 seperate incidents of bleeding and blood rest, it dissolved and I didn't have to..I was very relieved.

I did however have to take progesterone my whole pregnancy

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010