how do i potty train my 3 year old son? he just wont try. should i wait longer?

mommy200785

Asked by mommy200785 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is dad around? Does your son see another man pee, if dad isn't around? My hubby was gone for about 4 months and my dad was his male model then. My dad, and my hubby, pee infront of my boys. My son at 22 months one day pulled his pants down, ripped the diaper off, and peed in the field....just like PaPa. The next week my hubby was back and my son was able to pee in the potty right away then. They kind of need to see how to work it, IMO.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If it's too frustrating for him or you try waiting a few weeks before trying again, and maybe look into a different approach for your next attempt. My pediatrician told me it's pretty common for boys to not really be really ready for potty training until sometime after their 3rd birthday.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Make a big deal and tell him "tomorrow you will wear big boy underwear!! Yay!" Stay home for 3 days. Put him in underwear in the morning Be very positive. Take him every hour or so. He will have accidents the first day. Put him in diapers at night. The next day will be much better. Whatever you do, never go back to day time diapers. Devote the first 3 days just to potty training. Give rewards. My kids were trained after day 2. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• thank you so much for your suggestions i will deffinately give them a try. i hope something works!!

mommy200785

Comment by mommy200785 (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son caught on well with my being consistent and offering rewards (bribery) for waiting to use the potty. It also helps to have dad help out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I just waited for my son to decide he was ready. We are now working on day time training. I won't force him because it can cause long term problems. Once we get the daytime thing going then I will start with naps then over night.
    army_wife_06

Answer by army_wife_06 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There was no point in pushing the issue with my DD; she absolutely refused to go on the toilet. We tried everything and asked just about everyone we knew what other tricks there were. We just before she turned 4; we took a fairly good trip and she was wearing panties. She didn't go in her panties and she didn't do a #2 all weekend (I refused to put a diaper on her). Well, on the way home she started telling us her belly hurt (she also gets really carsick). Uh oh. Got her home and in the bathroom, she didn't need to throw up. but good golly #2. From that day on, she has never really had an issue.

They'll potty train when they are ready!
    clctalking

Answer by clctalking at 9:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• They won't potty train till they are good and ready.

My oldest wouldn't potty train till about a month after our second child was born. I tried and tried before she was born b/c I didn't want two in diapers. He refused and then one day woke up, told me diapers are for babies and he wanted big boy undies like daddy (I had tried with briefs before but he wanted boxers). So we bought boxers and that was that.

After our second was born but before he decided to be a big boy, I talked up the whole potty thing but didn't offer to take him to the potty. I just kept talking about all the cool things he could do once he used the potty (playground at Ikea, etc) to plant that seed of thought in his head. Typical male-it had to be HIS idea!
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 10:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Seriously, the best advice is this.. Go to whattoexpect go to the toddler section, then potty training.. Everything you ever need to know =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I waited until he was ready. It's not worth the fight. He'll get there.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2010