How High is Too High?

My kids are 3 & 4 years old. They both have a fever. I called their doctor but they are really busy and I'm waiting to hear back. How high of a fever is to high? My 3yo hit 106* last night, my 4yo has only been up to 102*. I am 36weeks pregnant and the doctor told me as long as MY fever doesn't go above 103* I don't have to worry, but I know the "danger zone" is higher for adults - especially pregnant adults - than for children... So at what point is it that I need to take them to the ER?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• From our pediatrician:
    Call 911 Now if
    * Not moving or very weak
    * Unresponsive or difficult to awaken
    * Difficulty breathing with bluish lips
    * Purple or blood-colored spots or dots on skin
    Call Us Now (night or day) If
    * Your child looks or acts very sick
    * Not alert when awake
    * Any difficulty breathing
    * Great difficulty swallowing fluids or saliva
    * Child is confused (delirious) or has stiff neck or bulging soft spot
    * Had a seizure with the fever
    * Age under 12 weeks with fever above 100.4° F (38.0° C) rectally (Caution: Do not give your baby any fever medicine before being seen)
    **** Fever over 104° F (40° C) and not improved 2 hours after fever medicine****
    * Very irritable (e.g., inconsolable crying or cries when touched or moved)
    * Won't move an arm or leg normally
    * Signs of dehydration (very dry mouth, no urine
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• 106 is way too high. 104 is about as high as it should go. I believe it is 107 or 108 that a child can die. Has it come down? If not, emergency room...NOW.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• 106 is WAY too high!!!!!. Get to the doctor. Give motrin and cool baths if it is getting high.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would take them in, the fevers are too high.
    Avon_Girlie

Answer by Avon_Girlie at 1:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• any thing you think is too high would be it for me... i would go in just to be safe
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• actually on second thought i would just go in right now...
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i'm not sure, but i think it has more to do with how long the fever is over 101-103*. i'm sure you've given OTC to try to reduce it, or tepid baths, keeping them hydrated, etc. right? call the doc's office again, and talk to a nurse. just keep calling! if you have to, call a local walk-in clinic and ask to speak to one of their nurses-its worth a shot, because if your ped's office is as busy as mine is, you might get referred to the clinic, anyway.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• ^^What pam wrote.^^

PLEASE take them to the doctor!

You want them to be as safe as posible and you don't want to get sick and harm the new baby too!

GL mommy!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oh and I've always been told that anything over like 100.2 is dangerous and if it hits 104 it is deadly!
    Memigen

• when my dd was 2 months old she was hospitilized for 2 days for a fever of 104-105. I'd say deffinetely get to the hospital asap if your child still has a temp. the 102 seems ok for now, just keep there fluids up and motrin is ok :) Best of luck
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010