Is it really the restaurants fault that America is overweight?

Do you really believe that all the fast food restaurants are to blame for America being overweight?

I personally don't think so. I think it is a personal choice that Americans make. No one forces you to eat a cheeseburger from McDonald's.

xxlilmomma09

Asked by xxlilmomma09 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• nope, its personal responsibility and inactivity.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No I think its a person's fault they are overweight.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Is it 100% their fault/responsibility? No. Is it a big factor? Yes. But you're right. Nobody forces anyone to eat it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No, we all make our own choices. I do wish they had better labeling though so people could make better informed choices. It's one thing to guess and say "Gee, this probably isn't the best thing I could be eating" but it's another thing to have that nutritional information staring you down. Everything at grocery stores has to be labeled. I'm not sure why it's not required for restaurants, too.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It is not the rest. "fault" I think if there wasn't so much fast food it wouldn't be this bad. Bottom line though we are the ones that decide what goes in our body.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i think they contribute. why not try to come out w/a good salad instead of adding more bacon or extra meat patty imo, also my bff is over weight & has been since she was about 4yrs old, she now has a 3 year old & is doing the same to her that her mother did, feeds her unhealthy food like hell.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It is absolutely their fault! They capture my attention with their lurid ads picturing greasy cheeseburgers and salty fries. Then they reel me in with their creamy, fat-laden desserts and I cannot escape! As I drive down the street I can hear the siren song of deliciousness and I am powerless to resist!

PUH-LEEZ! Unless they are kidnapping you from your home, strapping you to a chair and forcibly feeding you, how are they responsible? Its like saying Jack Daniels is responsible for my being a drunk! Or Ford's fault I'm a crappy driver! For crying out loud, when are people going to take responsibility for themselves?!?!?!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Nope It is irresponsibility and laziness. Then enter a government who step in and nanny the people by controlling a business..... Pathetic...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No it's not. There are 2 things at fault 1.) a lack of eduaction about health 2.) the American need for instant gratification.

Eating healthy and exercise does not fall under the category of instant gratification so a lot of people don't do it. Restuarants just soak it up for everything it's worth, and we let them. Shame on us, not shame on them.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I admit I am fat, and where do I put the blame for being fat--- on genetics and on myself, not on fast food places or restaurants. Sure the restaurants cook and provide the food, BUT I am the one who chooses where to go (restaurant/fast food) and I choose what food I order and eat. Unfortunately for me genetics also play a part in my weight,  most of my mom's family is  morbidly obese.  So to avoid becoming morbidly obese like them I need to start making changes to my diet- eat healthier and watch serving size, I also need to exercise more and stop stress eating.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010