convert baby crib to twin bed ?

i have a crib for my two year old that am using for my new born..
i need to buy a bed for my dd now..
should i convert it to a twin bed and buy the new born the same crib and then convert it later..
so that they have matching beds later..
or should i buy my two year old a new bed all together and later on buy the baby a bed too and get rid of the crib!

how much does it cost to convert the crib anyways
what do u think!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• buy your 2 yr old a new bed and keep the bed for the newborn. Or if you want to get 2 new beds give the older bed to a women's shelter.
    kirstensmommie

Answer by kirstensmommie at 1:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• A crib doesn't convert into a twin bed, it'll convert into a toddler bed (using the same crib mattress) and then some convert into a headboard and sometimes a footboard that will fit either a twin or a full. Honestly, a toddler doesn't need a headboard, so I would use the crib for the baby and just use get a tin mattress and boxspring minus any headboard IF your daughter is ready for such a change. I know my sons twin mattress was on the floor to prevent him falling off until he was 3, then I bought a pop-up tent style bed surround in Thomas the train nd kept his soft fleece covered tox box up against the side to prevent him from falling.

You could get your daughter a similiar srround in princess or other design....like this: http://www.amazon.com/Playhut-Disney-Princess-Hide-Out-Bed/dp/B0013OKQ9C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1289241196&sr=1-2
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i have a crib that will convert to toddler and twin, u just have to buy a twin mattres... but on that note, i think u should buy ur 2yr old the new bed, it may be pricier that a crib. but at a time when a new baby is being introduced into the family she may feel left out bc she isnt getting as much stuff. help her feel like a big girl by letting her pick (after u've narrowed the choices) the bed she wants. this way she feels more responsible. hope this helps
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We have a convertible crib that we used for our DS, and then bought him a twin bed right before we had DD. We will turn the crib into a Full bed when DD turns 2. DS was only 23 months old when he started sleeping in the twin bed. It was lifted off the ground (on a frame), so we just had it pushed into a corner of his room and used a hide-away rail on one side....that way both sides and head of the bed were blocked and he couldn't fall out. I recommend just buying your older child a new bed and use the crib for the new baby.

The only cost to convert the crib to a bed is the cost of the new mattresses (twin or full, depending on what type of crib you have and what size it converts to).
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010