Can a blood test tell me sooner than a urine test if I'm pregnant?

And would it work even if I'm only like a week pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Yes. HCG will show up in the blood before it shows up in urine. I think you have to be at least two weeks into it though. Once the egg is fertilized it takes about a week to travel the fallopian tubes to the uterus. Then in about another week it implants and the placenta forms. It is the placenta that is responsible for HCG. So you do have to wait it out.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• butterfly, she doesn't know she's pregnant yet... that's why she wants to test.... and she wants to know if she can find out earlier obviously.... this is a trying to conceive question
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 1:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• How do you know you're pregnant if you haven't missed a period yet?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Blood tests are more accurate, but I would wait until you miss your period.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i think so, i took a blood test at planned parenthood two weeks after i had sex, it was a neg& once took a urine at about 3 weeks after having sex& it came out positive.The line barely came out but it was there.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yes it would. probably like as soon as a day after conception,if I understood my ob right
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Typically, yes, a blood test is more accurate and can determine if you are pregnant based on your levels.

I would caution you again doing this before your expected period because up to 80% of all pregnancies are miscarried and MOST of those miscarriages happen BEFORE 4 weeks so most women just think they are heavy periods.

Studies have shown that almost every women who is sexually active has been pregnant and miscarried without ever even knowing they are pregnant. Early pregnancy test tend to bring on a lot of confusion (thinking you have a fertility problem because of losing so many pregnancies when you really don't) and heart ache.

I'm 1 week post ovulation too and I KNOW the 2WW is HARD but try to hold out at least another week.
    Anonymous