when to put in toddler bed?

I have a 18 month old that I'm ready to put in a toddler bed. Is that too early and how do you go about doing it. Right now we lay her down in her baby bed and she watches a movie until she falls asleep but sometimes she just dont want to go to bed and she screams to get out. How would i keep her in? Also we have started putting her on the potty. She can say peepee but hasnt done anything nor acts interested. what do i do to make her want to potty train? thanks everyone

theirmommie

Asked by theirmommie at 12:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, there is no best age for either of these. You move her to a toddler bed when SHE is ready - not when you are ready. And you potty train when SHE is ready - not when she reaches a certain age.
    As you've discovered, moving a child to a bed too soon causes battles. You can sit with her until she falls asleep or you can just keep taking her back to bed all night long. Or you can put her back in her crib, where she is safe and contained. If she is in her crib, you know she won't be exploring the kitchen or trying to climb her dresser in the middle of the night.
    For potty training, you can keep taking her to the potty at regular times or you can wait until she shows more readiness signs. Some are ready at 18 months but it's rare.
    From what you say, it sounds like you are pushing her to be a preschooler faster than she is ready. Remember that she is still more "baby" than "preschooler".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• with my children, when they escaped the crib, they got toddler bed. not before though. I didn't want them getting hurt climbing out of it so that's why we switched then. My son was over 2 years old when he switched, daughter was 16 months. so it's gonna vary.

I really agree with what kaycee said above.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• there is no best age, the potty training is way harder than the toddler bed in my opiinon. teagan loved her big girl bed, has no interest in peeing or pooping on the potty..she rather hide and poop somewhere and then come tell me!!!
    irishgrrl808

Answer by irishgrrl808 at 2:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2008