Has anyone actually ever used Your Baby Can Read?

My Walmart just started carrying it and I was thinking about getting it and letting my 5 year old watch it, (figured she may learn from it) letting my 2 year old watch it, (it may not be too late for her, lol), and then the new baby due may 9th can start watching it next December. But of course I don't WANT to trust the testimonials on the stupid website because I have bought many things suppose to be AWESOME and they sucked so I figured I would try to get some REAL people's reviews! THANKS

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 1:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine watched them, he's three and he's starting to read. I don't think the videos helped him to read (his father and I were both early readers) but I do think they helped him be more vocal and articulate.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i saw it there too in the toy catalog and i want to get it cause its seems like it would be a great teaching tool
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 1:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think it would be great for your 2 older ones. And when my dd is 2 I plan on getting it for her too. But the AAP reccomends no tv for children under the age of 2. I have studied early childhood development and have a Masters in Elementary Educationa and has studied the possibly affects of early exposure to television and it is pretty scary. The quick imaging and flashing lights and screen changing stimulates something in their brain that's not suppose to be stimulatated yet and can actually stunt the proper development of neural pathways. Studies have relvealed links to developmentla delays and even possibly autism... Now those links are not proven, however it is a recent fact that early exposure to tv can lead to the development of ADHD that shows up at around ages 7 or 8 (mostly in boys for some reason) and that is proven (do your own research if you like). As for our home our tv doesn't even get turned on... cont...
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 1:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• .... until 19modd is in bed.... and when she is 2 it will be limited to 2 hrs a day tops... and not everyday
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 1:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• TV watching is not a problem in my house, simply because I don't believe the studies. I grew up watching TV and I am just find same with my fiance. The TV is always on in our house, mainly Nick Jr and Sprout, mainly for background noise. The girls are never just sitting in front of it unless Caillou is on and he has gotten so annoying that I try to avoid that show. 9 times out of 10 they are running around playing or up dancing and playing along with the show. Ally and Gabby are both advance for their age in everything but reading and I give most of the credit to Sesame Street, Dora, and all the other shows they love to watch. They are creative and active too. Ally and Gabby were both counting to 20 by the time they were 2, so I was hoping that this MAY help them grow in the one area they need growth, I have tried to teach them myself about reading (they love books) but I am pretty clueless!
    Momma_Forever

Comment by Momma_Forever (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010