Serious question about laws... Please try not to bash me.

I want to know how I go about getting a law in for voters to vote on. If that makes sense at all. My son almost drowned in July, I was able to perform CPR and hes is fine. Im one of the lucky ones. This is one of the leading deaths in AZ. Most people do not have gates aroung their pools.(MIL HOME) Last night I saw yet again another story of 2 year old found floating in water... Another person without a gate around there pool. I know these people have learned (not my mil she still hasnt done shit about it. Will not go back to her house without one.) I want to try to get a law in AZ that its illegal to have a pool without a gate. How do I get to that point? Where do I start, does anyone know?

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thats a very good serious question. It is a law where I live that you have to have a locked gate around the pool. I would start at your congress members office. Contact him or her and get suggestions on where you start...good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Try to get in touch with your local representative or a legal firm looking for probono work. That sounds like it would be a zoning or convenence issue and I have no idea how those are created or enforced.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 1:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't know but I think it's a great idea.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my apt has a gate and a two year old drowned this summer and they are trying to sue the apt manager its the parents fault why were they not watching their kids so it doesnt always help to have a gate paqrents need to watch thier kids. but gates are a good idea
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Not sure but its a good idea.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 1:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• And for some reason pools are categorized as "attractive nuisance" - check with your state senator (Jon Kyle) I believe? and see if something is already in the works.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Start by making a phone call to your local representative to your state congress. Give him a heads up what you would like done, and let him know you will be calling your local news stations as well. Start a website... you can get one hosted for free... and hit up the cafemom journals market place as well as all your friends and anyone you know on face book, to support the site and the law you want passed. (You can also try a facebook page, or do both)

Get more people to call the same representative. Make sure they are polite. If you get a website going let me know, I'll plug it on my blog.. I've got some friends out your way. You'll have to really put your head down and work, but you should be able to get this accomplished fairly easily. The more numbers you can get supporting you initially, the better luck you'll have.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• bumpI don't know, but I think it's a great idea. I'm bumping you. (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Maybe call your county commissioner at your county courthouse. I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. The # should be in the yellow pages under the courthouse info. Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It's difficult. I suggest you contact an attorney to get the measure worded properly, to ensure you get the proper number of signatures for the type of ballot measure you wish to propose, and you file in the proper place.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2010