How many of you have considered or are home schooling your children?

I wanted to but daddy said they need to be around other kids..So they are in school...

JazzyJes

Asked by JazzyJes at 1:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have considered homeschooling but we currently have our kids in public school. I definitely do not believe that kids who are homeschooled miss out on having friends, but it really does depend on how involved the parents get in homeschool groups and extra curricular activities. I know a lot of people who homeschool and their children get plenty of socialization. Almost every community has homeschool co-op groups where the parents take turns teaching lessons and having P.E, art, and music together. Our own decision to put the kids in public school came out of my own selfishness because I decided that I wanted some time for me to do things that I hadn't been able to do for myself in the last 7 years. I am prepared at any minute to pull my kids out of school should the need arise though. They have adjusted quite well actually and it's middle school I am most concerned with.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Homeschooled my oldest 2yr to help him caught up and theres lots of things you can do to help your kids socialize-boy scout, homeschool groups,sports ect
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 1:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I am considering it for Kindergarten. My twins barely miss the birthday cut off so they will be almost six when they can go into school. Right now at 4 years old they know all their letters and letter sounds and can sound out small words. I am afraid that the half day Kindergarten they have here would be a complete waste of time for them and they would be bored and acting up. I have my teaching degree and do daycare/preschool out of the house, so I would just adjust their lessons for more indepth Kindergarten based curriculum. There are always other ways of getting children socialized than school. There are local play groups and gym days, sports, girl scout/ boy scout type groups. Look around for a local homeschooling community if you are really interested. They are a great resource and support!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 1:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I've thought about it but wouldn't do it for a few reasons. However, I like the idea of being in control of my child's education. Socialization is a big part of going to school, but as long as the kids are involved in several activities outside of the home it's just as well. School isn't the only resource for making friends.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I had major concerns and now we are homeschooling our kids. There are a lot of ways to have your kids involved with other kids that do not involve the public school system. Our kids are both in girl scouts and community theater. Our younger daughter does a program called Styx at a local church that is percussion. They have friends (many who do go to public school) that they hang out with. Homeschooling kids are not in an isolation box like so many people think they are. The school my daughter attended before homeschooling did not allow visiting in the classroom, hallway, lunch room, etc. They were allowed to socialize for 15 minutes a day at recess, but they were not allowed to sit by the wall and talk, they had to be up moving to "get rid of their energy". My daughter gets to spend more time with her friends now than she did at public school because when we are done, we are done. No more hours of homework.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree with daddy, smart man! Never have I thought about it, I send mine to private school though.

Answer by older at 1:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I had thought about it and wanted to. I do for preschool but after weighing options we went with putting them in school.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I thought about it once for my ten year old daughter. She is shy and has trouble with other kids. I just didn't think I was smart enough. i know alot of woman that do, that tell me you get textbooks. You still need to be smart to an extent.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There are a lot of extra carricular activities they can get involved in through their public school and through the community. This helps with homeschooling a child who wouldn't normally have access to their peers. That is the only way I would home school my child. Outside of having the money to travel around the country/world and teach them by visiting places of hisotircal and other academic value.

I have many times thought of home schooling my children. However, I really would only do it if I could travel. We can't afford that right now and I don't see that as an option in the future. The social aspect would be remedied by activities with peers around the country in any way possible.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I home educate my children and they are around other children plenty. They have lots of friends and are involved in many differnt activities and classes, if anything we are over socialized.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010