Does anyone still hang their clothes outside to dry?

I'm thinking about doing it. I haven't really saw anyone doing it since I was a kid. Why did everyone stop? Isn't it one of the "greenest" things we can do nowadays?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes I hang laundry up as long as I can, during the winter I hang three small lines in my laundry room and hang my laundry there to dry, I'll hang it in the morning and by the next morning they are dry. Towels will get maybe 10 minutes in the dryer at that point and it really cuts down on my electric bill
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It is something green you can do but I really like my clothes dried sooner so we use a dryer.
    Melissa6705

Answer by Melissa6705 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think it's become synonymous with 'trailer trash' people and so no one wants to do it. I grew up with my grandmother always hanging her clothing out on the line- even when she lived on a busy street, her yard was on the side of the house in plain sight of all the cars and everyone could see her GIANT bloomers flapping in the breeze!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I do for sheets. Everything is stiff and needs to be ironed,which I'm not about to do

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We do - I have a small "umbrella" line that we used all summer. It is actually faster in the heat of the summer to dry clothes than it is to use our dryer. Not so much faster in the winter.

I don't care about the "redneck" factor. I do not dry my underwear or bras on the line - don't like the stiffness.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I love to hang sheets on the line! It is one of my favorite things abour Spring/Summer. I also will hang my towels (I fluff them after they are dry) and jeans! I just love the smell! And I am about as far from trailer trash as they come!!!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 3:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No D/t HOA.
    My elderly parents do though-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My mil does. I don't do it because the pollen on my clothes would be an allergy issue for me.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I love line dried sheets, but my bath towels need to be dried in the dryer. I find them too scratchy if I don't
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• her yard was on the side of the house in plain sight of all the cars and everyone could see her GIANT bloomers flapping in the breeze!

LOL!!
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010