How could she??

My step son was supposed to go home yesterday, but instead his mother decided she was going to take off and just leave him. She called and said she had some "business" she had to take care of and needed him to stay for a "while" But she was taking her daughter. My DH told her he would talk to me about it. We both decided it would be best for him to go with her. When she called us back she got an attitude when we told her and goes "well, youre going to have to bring him to me then" She just up and left him and is now over an hour away doing god knows what. Didn't talk to him say bye or anything. Please dont get me wrong, there is NO problem with him staying. We all love him very much here, but I don't understand how she can just up and leave him like that. My DH and I are very angry with her...he wants go go home to her and we have to explain that she is not there..what should we do about this?? he is really upset

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your poor stepson. :( How awful of his mother!! I would just give him lots of hugs, make him feel as welcome as possible, and maybe try to keep him busy so he doesn't dwell on it too much.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• how old is the child? Is her DD your husband's child too?
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Sounds like the agreement in the child support settlement isn't being honored. If this continues (or if there is not official agreement to visitation) consult your lawyer. It's unfair to the children when parents let their egos get involved...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Is she usually like this? If not, give her the benefit of the doubt, there may be something personal in her life that she doesn't want to shar with you. Remember that your step son is just as much your husbands responsiblity as her's and it may be that she needs him to help her out right now. Explain to him that mommy had to do something very important and that daddy loves him very much and is excited to get extra time with him. Don't let him see u upset bout this, he may get confused and feel that you just don't want him around the extra time.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Goodybrook, in most states if the other parent needs the child to be watched like this, they are supposed to offer to let the other parent keep them during that time. Since the poster says she loves him there and didn't mid him being there the mother wasn't really in the wrong. You wouldn't consider the father to not be honoring the settlement agreement if he missed a visit or two would you? Things come up and as she didn't say this happens alot or that the mother is a bad mother, lets not assume the worst shall we?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010