Your thoughts on Erica Jong article on the Madness of Modern Motherhood?

"No wonder that Elisabeth Badinter's book "Le Conflit: La Femme and La Mere" ("The Conflict: Woman and Mother") has become a best seller in France and will soon be published around the world. Ms. Badinter dares to question attachment parenting, arguing that such supposedly benign expectations victimize women far more than men have ever done. Attachment parenting, especially when combined with environmental correctness, has encouraged female victimization. Women feel not only that they must be ever-present for their children but also that they must breast-feed, make their own baby food and eschew disposable diapers. It's a prison for mothers, and it represents as much of a backlash against women's freedom as the right-to-life movement."

Link to full article: http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748704462704575590603553674296-lMyQjAxMTAwMDAwODEwNDgyWj.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Link did not work for me.

Answer by older at 2:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just from the little snippet I'd have to agree to a point.  A lot of women seem to forget they are still people when they have kids.  Your life doesn't have to revolve around your kids to be a good mother.  You can be both a person and a mother.  It's about balance.  But the way society is now with pressures from media and other mothers women think they must spend every moment they are awake catering to their children, entertaining and enriching them (else risk them dropping behind other kids on some undefined score bored).  They are made to feel guilty if they even consider taking a break, letting their kid cry for a few minutes while they finish their food, use the bathroom alone, etc.  I find that sad.  Where women were once trapped by a male dominated society they are now "trapped" by a child dominated one.  And, IMO, both the moms and kids are suffering for it.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The most important words in the article were at the very end:

"Do the best you can. There are no rules."

Bottom line? That's all there is to it and the only measure to which anyone can be held. Did you do your best? Then it was good enough.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would not consider myself as an attachment parent however, I would also not consider myself the type of person who thinks it is possible to remove emotion so far from ignoring the right of another to live, that it becomes about my rights alone. I think it is my right to conduct my sex life in a manner in which I don't have to worry about making that chioce. I would not consider myself to be the type of person to negate the rights of anyone to live. This Detached philosophy is a slippery slope. Life is not so cut and dry. There are a lot of gray areas. I will not bash a persons right to choose, but I take offence at the implication that by being loved and cared for has made me a victim, or made me some twit because I don't agree with abortion. It is not a choice for me. This does not mean my mother did me a disservice. If anything, it made me a responsible woman who holds herself accountable for the choices she makes
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I hope this link will work ....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704462704575590603553674296.html
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010