why is it that we moms know when something is wrong with our kids but when we take them to the doctors the doctors say everything is fine?

my son is 4 years old...he has exema,but doctors wont do nothing for him...he has ADHD but the doctors say hes too young for treatment...he has OCD but so does everyone else on mine and my moms side of the family...my sons deadbeat dad is bipolar but the doctors tell me that jayden will never hav to worry about being bipolar...what do you ladies think about all of this?

SMALLfry05

Asked by SMALLfry05 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I hope this is helpful, my son has eczema, Doctor did nothing either. We found out that regular milk triggered it and I started using organic milk, and Gold Bond lotion with Shea butter. His skin improved completely, I have a few family member with eczema also, and like one mom said they use Dove shower soap and Gold Bond too and it stays under control. As for the other things you mentioned good luck!
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 1:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Although I don't think doctors know everything, I do think they know a lot more than I do when it comes to certain health issues concerning my child. Yeah I have my "motherly instincts" but I also have anxiety over keeping my child safe and healthy so it wouldn't be surprising if I found myself worrying about something more than I needed to. If I really felt that my son's doctors were wrong about something I'd seek a second opinion from a different doctor in a different clinic.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think you need to stop self diagnosing your child.
    Anonymous

• i would look into another dr. as well. for the eczema, have you found the triggers? have you kept a food journal? have you tried changing soaps and detergents? my dd has an issue with coconut and its byproducts. we use no soap for her. we use just washing soda and borax for her laundry. i have heard that dove soap is good for kids with eczema. also, infrequent bathing, and moisturizing several times a day with a one ingredient oil or butter, like coconut oil, or shea butter. a food journal could help with adhd as well, look into groups here at cafe mom. i have heard cutting out artificial colors and sugars can make a difference. what do your family members do for the ocd? can you take your child to a therapist?
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think doctors are idiots! If I don't get an opinion I like, I go to another. Eventually one of them has to be remotely intelligent.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• let me be a lil more speciffic so tht "anonymous" understands me a lil better....im not self diagnosing my son...the doctors told me all of tht! my problem is no one will help me...
    SMALLfry05

Comment by SMALLfry05 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You need to be your child's advocate. If your doc won't listen, get a second opinion. Research what (if anything) you can do (like diet changes to treat eczema) at home.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i have changed his diet and so far that seems to be working for the eczema as well as the adhd...i went to a doctor and i went for the second opinion at a hospital and they both told me the same thing...there is nothing we can do for your son,he is too young for adhd treatment....
    SMALLfry05

Comment by SMALLfry05 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would look into diet and supplements. Gluten/casien and dairy free can help with a lot of those issues.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010