What do you tell your kids about Santa, Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy?

I told my kids that Santa is anyone that likes to do nice things for others. Anyone, even him can be santa.

We don't ever mention the other 2.

1Giovanni

Asked by 1Giovanni at 2:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My children believe they are real as of right know.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You are free to raise your child anyway you like, but don't you feel like you are robbing him of the magic of childhood? Make believe is what makes being a child so great!! I hope i did not offend you, I am just curious.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Actually no I don't think I am taking anything from them. I think that I am giving them the chance to be santa for kids that has less then they do. It makes them feel like they are doing something very good when they see a child very happy when give them something.

My youngest has lots of "magic" in his life. He loves to pretend, he pretend friends come and help him give "magic" to the other kids too. lol
    1Giovanni

Comment by 1Giovanni (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We've never done Santa or the Easter bunny. Nothing against it, we just didn't want to do it. We do leave money from the tooth fairy, although I don't really have a reason for that. My kids know that Santa is a fun character, but they realize he's not a real person.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Well, my son is too young to even understand the concept of any of these. However, as he gets older, I'll introduce him to the idea of them, and if he seems receptive and enjoys the idea, I'll participate in the make-believe. I see nothing wrong with letting your kids believe in a little bit of magic at that age. When else in their life will they be able to do so? If that's means I'll be lying to my son, so be it. My parents "lied" to me, and I'm glad! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I plan to do all 3. They are so small for so short a time and I want to experience all that wonder & magic with them.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree with LovingSAHmommy completely. I'm already tell my daughter about Santa. She will be 2 1/2 at Christmas and will understand much more than last year. Will I take her to sit on Santa's lap? Probably not...lol....she's not good with strangers. Maybe next year, but only if she wants to...It's entirely up to her. Plus, I don't want to pay $25 for a pic with Santa and she's screaming in it.....lol.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• All three are as real as can be, i don't necessarily care one way or another if other parents do it, i think its great, its fun... i loved it, so will DD
    specialrevolver

Answer by specialrevolver at 8:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We don't do the Easter Bunny, no reason really it has just never come up. He believes in Santa wholeheartedly and I love it for him. When the time comes I will do the tooth fairy. I loved waking up to my tooth being gone and something else in its place, even if it was just a little thank you note from the tooth fairy.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• well, we are catholic, and we tell the true story of St. Nick. You know he was a real person, i hope. I mean people are so uneducated with the santa thing! Also, easter bunny, is fun, and we make it just that, nothing to really discuss. The tooth fairy is the same!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010