if you've been a foodstamp recipient or know anything about them, does this seem accurate to you?

*little background info* my hubby was medically discharged from the army for an injury and now with the economy and 3 kids we're struggling to make ends meet. we were on wic but unfortunately we still find ourselves in the negative every month. so we swallowed our pride and applied for foodstamps...

on a 1700/month roughly income for a family of 5, our monthly FS allottment is $88? i looked online today and this is what it showed. we haven't officially been approved yet, we still have to send in a few more documents. but they know our income already so i dont see the amount changing. i had a friend who got $150/month just for her and her daughter. beggers cant be choosers i know, im glad to use anything i can get at this point. but $88 really? that doesn't seem accurate to me for a family of 5 on our low income.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not that it should matter, but where do you live? I had to get food stamps for a month last summer and I got almost $500 for 3 people, which seemed outrageous to me. Of course, my income that month was $400, but still...
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 2:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• we live in florida. it sucks here lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Food stamps depends on a lot more than just your income. They also calculate your amount of bills and such to see how much you have left over every month. Also, if you own a home or vehicle, it can be used as an asset and can reduce the amount of benefits you receive.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• They take in to account income, home living bills and people in the home.

For me and my son, I make $1238.62, have almost all of that amount in bills. I get $102.00 in FS. It sounds right.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yea his vehicle is on there and his monthly car payment and our rent is what's killing us. they know all of this. he brings home about 450 a week and it's gone within days usually. it's hardest at the beginning of the month, when they take out his truck payment and our rent.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Utilize your local food kitchen! Often they'll give away bags of groceries to those in need. And when you get back on your feet, just go back as a family volunteer project...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• the amount they show isnt always accurate...you will probably get alot more...just wait and see! And dont feel bad about foodstamps. He earns them by working. That is what taxes are for....and its a card now...nobody will ever know ; )
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Make sure you have proof of all your bills & take them up there. We got on the Lone Star card for 2 months when DH was unemployed after coming home from overseas job. The estimate on the computer was WAY off. After we turned every thing in, we got $400 or so. You won't know an exact amount until every thing is done.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oh, sorry...forgot to add that we are a 5 person family.
    Mrs.B3

• it depends. they should give you something that breaks it all down. It sounds like a little low....but its hard to say. The last time we got food stamps we were getting around 300, I think in food stamps. SO's income was unemployment...that was about 1300 a month and I was making a little bit at a part time job for a family of 5.

We are reapplying again now. so we will see
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010