Restraining order in OK Islamic law amendment, will it stand? do you think it should be passed?

OKLAHOMA CITY – A federal judge has issued a temporary restraining order blocking a state constitutional amendment that prohibits state courts from considering international or Islamic law when deciding cases.

U.S. District Judge Vicki Miles-LaGrange ruled Monday morning in Oklahoma City following a brief hearing. It prevents the state election board from certifying the results of Tuesday's general election in which the amendment was approved by 70 percent of the voters.

The order will remain in effect until a Nov. 22 hearing on a requested preliminary injunction.

It was issued in a lawsuit filed by the executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Oklahoma. Muneer Awad said during the hearing that the law stigmatizes his religion.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The amendment seems like a complete waste of time.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• why should she have to go through that?? Judges are notorious for making law from the bench. Ask Justice Sotomayor.

And THAT is the reason for the amendment
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If judges wouldn't legislate from the bench there would be no need for laws like this.

It doesn't matter if the ruling in the previous case was overturned...how many times was she raped before that happened?

I am surprised it the case didn't get tossed out. The guy filing it doesn't have any standing to begin with. Besides, I tend to side with the state on issues such as this. The people of OK don't want Sharia law or international law to have any merit within their borders. I have no problem with that. We can't have "separation of church and state" and not have it at the same time....either or. BTW, I do know there isn't really a separation of church and state.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Why would we consider any other law but our own? I don't care where a person is from or what faith they are, they still have to obey our state and national laws.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• That judges verdict was thrwon out on appeal, the way our system is supposed to work.
    ___________________________

why should she have to go through that?? Judges are notorious for making law from the bench. Ask Justice Sotomayor.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We should not be considering any law but ours let alone Sharia law. Jeez
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The wording could be changed from "Islamic law" to "any religious law." I think that would uphold the purity of the law without pointing fingers.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

We wouldn't. Our law is the law. period..there is no reason for this amendment
    ____________________________
    I read somewhere that the amendment was written because a judge threw out a wife's case against her husband, who had repeatedly raped her. The judge had stated that the man was just fulfilling his husbandly duties under Islamic law. (this is just my memory, can't remember where I read it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• if there's no reason for the amendment, then what's the reason for the sueing? other than it makes someone's religion look bad. boohoo. maybe the amendment shouldn't have singled out islamic law, but come on..what other religion's laws are being given consideration in our state/etc courts?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Why should courts be considering Islamic law - they won't consider Biblical law.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010