My five year old son isn't doing well in school. What are some things I can do to get him more excited and more focused on class work?

My five year old son was in preschool but unfortunately his class was based on playing all day and spoiling him. Now that he's in kindergarten... he doesn't want to focus. He rushes thru his work just so he can play. Recess is a must now in VA so they can't take recess away from him and its seeming impossible to get him to focus. I will sit down with him numrous times to go over the coins because they have to learn the names of the coins and which is which and he has no intrest at all. He thinks everything is a game. He just doesn't focus. He just blurts out random coin names till he finally gets it right. We are also having a hard time teaching him letters. We try and try and he looks at the flashcard as if its blank. Its as if he not comprehending anything. My other two kids knew their numbers and letters and all their shapes and colors and knew how to write their names leaving preschool. My five year old is so far behind.

mamaof3lilcubs

Asked by mamaof3lilcubs at 2:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe reward him, such as stickers. something simple for everything he gets right. When he gets a certain amount of stickers maybe reward him with ice cream. I was in the same boat. Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You could try making it in to a game. Reward him with play time when he gets it right and sits down. Try working in small time increments. He is five so his attention span is less than ten minutes. Most important is to stay patient. Good Luck.
    miralerk

Answer by miralerk at 2:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thank you both
    mamaof3lilcubs

Comment by mamaof3lilcubs (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just make learning fun. Use the coins and then maybe add the amount with m and m's. My girl is in kindergarten and so far they do not have to know the coins and their amounts. Maybe try a learning book or leapster games that work with what they need to know. Just do not get upset with them and just make if fun and do not work that long on it. Set a timer and work till goes off so that way they will know will not have to do it for long. Hang in there.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• thank you
    mamaof3lilcubs

Comment by mamaof3lilcubs (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I always had a lot of luck with using lots and lots of praise and instilling in my son the pride that comes with attaching your name to his work. Every kid is different though what works for one might not work for another, the same techniques did not work for my  daughters, they never excelled and my son did from the very beginning.

Answer by older at 2:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Teacher here: He sounds like a typical 5 year old boy. Its not the preschools fault...and taking away his PE time would just make his problem worse.

If he thinks everything is a game....make it a game. Young kids dont learn the way us adults learn.....they learn by playing. So take some money. Set up a toy store. Mark prices on everything. 1cent 5 cents 10 cents 25 cents and maybe a dollar....he must BUY the toys with the correct money. Remember he is still learning so when he is trying to figure it out, give him clues...

Be sure to give him BIG BIG praise when he gets it right and when he tries his best!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• not to be jumping the gun but i have two thoughts. one maybe early signs of ADHD? my son is 10 and has struggled since preschool. no focus, no will to do it or just rushed through. they dont like to diagnose it early here...so not until 2nd grade did we get a DX. i work with my son one on one a lot. i work with teachers -check in frequently. talk to doctor about your concerns. i praise and try not to get mad at him. he has done much better once we got help with school and with his doc support.try to make it fun if you can. GL
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Have you talked to the teacher at length about ways to help him focus and want to do what he is supposed to? I find that communicating with the teacher your thoughts and concerns can really help you both to come up with a way to figure things out and set a child up for success.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010