major problem (for me anyywayy)

i want christmas to be the real wayy you kno wakin up in the morning and santa came but he wants it to be like his familyy does it open them at midnight and dont tell her about santa but that most of the fun when i was growing up i didnt get to have christmas but i want myy daughter to have all the fun parts i tried to sayy we could take one or two to open at his sisters house and save the rest but he dont want to idk what else to do

babyy_blue_eyes

Asked by babyy_blue_eyes at 2:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• I think you and your hubby need to sit down and come up with your own family's traditions. There will have to be compromises and your daughter will not get the same experience you or your husband had. It will be her tradition. Maybe you can do the santa thing but let her know it's a story too. I think getting gifts more than once could be fun for her. You just have to talk with each other to see what should be done. Just don't fight about it and ruin the holidays for the little one. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We do christmas eve and open up gifts from each other and grandparents. Then christmas day do up santa claus. I know what you mean about christmas for your kids. I mean okay kids once and believe in santa for so long and want them to enjoy it now for them. The memories for you. maybe if he agrees and you do Open up some on christmas eve and the do the big santa day the next day. Happy holidays to you and your family no matter what the outcome is.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• momindiana had a great idea. I was just like your hubby. I was raised to open gifts on Christmas Eve. I never got used to Christmas morning. Of course my ex brought out the video camera and that just made it worse to me. He would zoom in on me with my hair all messed up and no makeup and I just wanted to kill him,,,lol. You need to do both cause its important to you. Im a single parent now and my kids only know opening presents on Christmas morning. They only like to open one gift on Christmas Eve.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Both of you need to find a middle ground.
    Maybe you can have a handful on Christmas Eve from you guys and a handful on Christmas morning. Ask him to try it out and see what your child thinks and how you both feel. The point of Christmas morning (Aside from family, jesus for those who believe, etc) is the presents. Opening them up Christmas Even takes away the magic.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You definitely need to start your own traditions. Sit down and discuss it with your husband. Compromise is key. We took a little of each of our traditions when we had kids. I was used to opening presents on Christmas Eve and then Santa's were near our stocking on Christmas day. My husband was used to opening all gifts on Christmas Day. And our gifts were put under the tree to enjoy them all wrapped before Christmas in our house. In his the tree was bare until Christmas morning. We comproised with wrapped gifts being under the tree whenever they were wrapped and ready, a couple of gifts were opened Chritmas Eve, and then the rest of the presents were opened Christmas morning. Plus the stockings and Santa's gift were in the morning. We, of course, had to agree on what we told the kids about Santa because in his family all presents came from Santa. In ours only one gift and the stockings came from Santa. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We had similar decision to make when we married and had kids. We both had Santa as children. I wanted to carry on the tradition, but my husband decided against continuing the tradition of Santa and just teaching the real meaning of Christmas. We still do presents, but it's from us not from Santa. I decided to do it his way. At first I was sad about it, but it has really worked out for us. My oldest was diagnosed with Autism and has a very active imagination. He has difficulty telling the difference between what is real and what is imaginary and he holds on to it. This makes it easier for him. I believe you should sit and discuss at length why you each believe the way you do and determine what would be best for the child. Maybe new traditions, maybe old. We do Christmas Eve with my family and get one gift at home. Christmas morning is for us as a family to celebrate alone.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We opened Christmas presents on Christmas Eve and Santa came that night.
    Serenity_Angel

Answer by Serenity_Angel at 10:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think you guys need to sit down and compromise about something.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010