What to feed somebody who's been starved? (grown up man, 6'2", 71 lbs)

I'm taking care of a bedridden neighbor, who's been terribly neglected and abused. I need him to gain weight! I understand he doesn't like porridge oats (which would have been my first choice because it's kinda neutral food). I made a fruit smoothy today from a banana, milk and strawberries. He got most of it down and it stayed in, but he had stomach cramps digesting it. His body is used to ... nothing, I guess. I know I have to be careful with fruit acids, fat, spices and vegetables like cabbage (usually heavy to digest). I'm thinking of a light vegetable soup (blend it first). But what can I give him that's high in calories, but won't cause tummy trouble?

P.S. Yes, there're lots of other problems to solve. And, no, going to the hospital/ doctor is not an option at the moment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Health

• If you can afford it - the adult version of pediasure is perfect and what my husband's grandparents were on while they were in hospice care dying from cancer and couldn't stomach much more.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• 71 lbs for a 6'2" guy? I don't know the situation but it almost sounds like the police should be involved if they aren't.
    Anonymous

• I agree with with giving him ensure, but if he is now in your care and he dies of malnutrition and no medical treatment was given to him then it might be on you. Get his medical treatment ASAP!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oh my goodness! Why isn't going to the hospital an option? Or the police for elderly abuse?

Ensure, lot's of Ensure to help him get calories and nutrients. Plus any food that he can tolerate.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Try Peanutbutter and protein drinks such as glucerna or ensure. Good luck I will be praying for him.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• he needs to see a dr because he is probably malnourished.
    not going to a dr, and trying to treat him yourself could just cause bigger problems. Take him to the emergency room, he wont be turned away.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree with ENSURE. It comes in small cans, just right for an elderly person's appetite. Expensive, but consider the alternative if you don't buy it!

Good luck with your neighbor. We're all pulling for him!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Start out slowly. He won't be able to eat more than a bite or two at a time. Things packed with nutrition and good fat, and easy to eat.
    Anonymous

• smoothies good choice( add ice cream for fat) and veg soup GOOD FOR YOU maybe rice in chicken broth
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Sprinkling the food and drinks with wheat germ will make it easier to digest and increases the calorie intake. Good Luck
    miralerk

Answer by miralerk at 3:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010