How would you react if your child got injured in Gym class and you didn't hear about it from the teacher?

My son got kicked in the back a week and a half ago, by another student accidentally. Since then he has complained everyday of back pain. He developed a very high fever and had no other symptoms except the back pain. So his doctor checked his urine and sure enough had blood in it. She thinks its definitely form the kick/trauma.
I'm pissed that I didn't even get a note from his teacher explaining what happened. Would'nt you be?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 3:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No offense, but it took you while to take him to the doctor.

I wouldnt jump up and run to the Dr the day my son said his back hurt either. Just like when they get a sniffle or a cough I dont immediately go...you wait to see if it is serious or just a kids cold.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Not sure about all the details, but we usually only let parents know when a serious injury occurs, usually to the head or face. I know that this did end up being serious, be it may not have seemed that way when it happened if your son wasn't in extreme pain at the time. Hopefully everything will turn out fine!! I would simply let the school know that you would like to be notified of any and all injuries that occur at school.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Gym teachers see kids get bumped around all the time. I'm sure they did not maliciously not tell you. They probably saw it as just another bump that would resolve itself. I'm sorry your child got hurt and i'm sure your Doctor will fix him up.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree you have a right to be upset because they did not inform you. The teacher may have thought nothing of it, as in if you son didn't ask to go to the nurse or appear to be very hurt she might have thought he was okay. I am not saying this should excuse them from telling you, I am just wondering if the teacher didn't think he was that hurt.

You have a right to know what goes on at school and if he was kicked that hard you would have thought he would have needed to go to the nurse.

Good Luck with everything and I hope your son is okay.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• op- given that information I would absolutley furious. Honestly, if his medical condition has gotten worse because you were not informed on time, personally I would probably sue to board of education for your sons medical bills. If he got kicked that hard she should have sent him right to the nurse and gone from there.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would be mad. I would not take this lying down and go to the gym teacher and have a meeting. I just hope this has not happened before. Any kinna thing like that he should have a least be sent to the nurses office and a phone call. I would do everything I could so nothing would happen to some one else. I hope your son is getting better.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Had the teacher told you the DAY it happened would you have taken your child to the doctor any sooner than you did?

I mean you found out about it THAT DAY. What would be different had the teacher told you THAT DAY as your son already did? Gym teachers see kids get knocked around every day. I don't think they didn't tell you to be evil, I think they may have legitimately thought it was a no big deal incident, and he would have been fine.

Anonymous

• How old is your son?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would be beyond pissed!!!!! and would have a good mind to pass on doctor bills for the school to pay!

Answer by older at 3:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If it was serious enough that he had blood in his urine, then you should have been contacted. Have you talked with the school, maybe they didnt realize how bad it was...did anyone see it happen?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010