Everytime i say no to whatever my son does, it seems like he does it more and more. i pop him on the hand but it dont seem to work. what should i do?

dement

Asked by dement at 3:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After you have spanked him on his hand, try moving him away and getting him interested in something else. If he goes back to what he's already been popped for, pop him again, only this time on his leg, just barely hard enough for it to sting. It sounds like he may be one of the more strong-willed children. I had one of those, and if that's what it is, it will require a lot of diligence to teach him to be obedient, but it will happen. You will just have to be more diligent to get the job done. Once you have, you will be so glad you did. Teaching a child that no means no is the basis of all parenting.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Wow....First of all, a baby between the age of 0-12 months doesn't deserve to be "popped"! Second of all, telling a baby "No" all the time makes him want to do it more. You need to explain No. Such as "Aw, baby we don't touch that." or "baby, that's dangerous to touch" or "No touching". Worked for me just fine and I've had 3 kids I've never had to "pop"! Geesh...
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• babies dont comprehend "no" nor do they understand the reasoning behind it. At infant age it's best to distract. NO works but it gets old and loses its meaning after a while. I alternate lol. I will say NO or UH UH, STOP, NO SIR.....etc. then I show him something else. He wants to play with the pen? Take it away, and give him a crayon and paper. If he tries to touch the porcelain vase on the table, remove him from the table and give him a toy similar to it (like a shape block puzzle) It's good to replace what the interest is with something safer! Thats what works for my son
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have to assume your son is a year or less, since that's where you posted this, a Baby can't comprehend no or a slap on the hand....he's a BABY!

NannyB you are an idiot....you do NOT "pop" an INFANT to sting or otherwise. Strong-Wlled? that is ABSURD!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• First of all, you have to remember he is an infant and doesn't have the cognitive capability to understand or remember what is right, wrong, or dangerous at this stage. Put the stuff away you don't want him to touch, rearrange, redirect and be kind. He is going to wonder why you are "popping him on the hand".
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree with mommy2jack04 u do not hit babies they don't under stand! My dd is into everything so I say no or no mama or I don't think so and then I move her somewhere else and give her a different toy!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Say something other than "no". When you say no to everything, it gets old and doesn't mean anything to them anymore. My son ignores the word "no" but if I say something else like "don't touch" or "leave it alone" he responds better. If he's closer to a year you can start time outs.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• jessicarae is makes a good point. The word "no" can mean a lot of different things including no I don't like that, No don't touch,ect. and you can't expect a baby under a year old to understand all that, so try to be more specific. He may not get it, and you just have to deal with it. He is a baby.

Oh and NannyB you're an idiot. "Popping" a baby, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Anonymous

• How old is your son?
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i am a first time mom and hes 10 months. ppl say that i can pop him on the hand at this age, and then some of yall are saying not to. i am so confused.
    dement

Comment by dement (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2010