Anyone ever heard of a "type" of heart mur mur?

I had my 2nd fetal echocardiogram today, and left feeling a bit like I dropped the ball. :( DH has a family history of heart murmurs. His dad, his aunt, cousin, HIMSELF, and several others in his family have the same heart murmur. His aunt at 64 had a pacemaker already put in! He had a little brother that died in infancy due to a hole in the heart. That's why I had this test done, but the first time it was too early in development to see all they needed to see, so I went back today. After I had it done, the doc came in and asked what kind (??) of heart murmur they have. I told him I don't know, nobody ever said. He asked if DH ever had an echocardiogram. I told him I wasn't sure. He seemed frustrated with me. :( He said without this info he wasn't sure what to look for, but as far as he could tell, everything looked ok with my baby, and sent me on. I feel like I was supposed to get this info for him but I had no idea. :(

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I just feel like they did 2 echos & they feel like they did it for no reason. :(
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I know there are different types, but not sure what they are. My son was born with 1 but it was gone by the time he was a few years old. I would do as much research as you can with the family history and then mention it to the doc. next time you see him.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Well there are different types of heart murmurs.

"There are two main types of heart murmurs: diastolic and systolic. A diastolic murmur occurs when the heart muscle relaxes between beats. It occurs after the second heart sound. A systolic murmur occurs between the first and second heart sounds. "

They need to know which type to know what to look for. Some heart murmurs can be deadly while others never cause a problem.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 3:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oh my goodness...
    Ok 2 questions - I'm not going to have the opportunity to see this particular doc again b/c they sent me to the hospital to do this special test, he's not in my regular OB's practice. I could tell my OB but I don't know what she can do with that info, then. i feel like my chance has passed. :( Do you think my ins. will cover it if they order a 3rd echo if I find out something more?
    Also, if I find out what it is, is there anything they can do now anyway, if there were something wrong with my baby? :{
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No! DON'T feel bad! HE is the HEART DOCTOR! HE can find if there is something wrong with or without the information! That's what they pay him the big bucks for! :)

Just fin dout if you can from your SO and call the office back. They probably recorded the test anyhow so thay can always go back and look if they need to. That dr was just being a jerk for no good reason and should check himself next time he enters the room of an already stressed out mommy-to-be. :(
    Besides... what would he do if you didn't KNOW the bio-dad to ask?

I'm sure if he didn't see anything wrong then everything is okay with your sweet precious little one. :)

Don't stress and good luck mommy!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• With technology these days, they can do surgery on a baby's heart while it is still in the womb. They could also do it as soon as it's born. Honestly, if it were serious they would pick it up on a a later echo or an ultrasound. Just tell them all the information that you have. That's all you can really do for now.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 4:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• When you find out what's going on just call the dctor at the hospital and tell them what your husband said.

If it is a necessity the insurance should cover it, but you can always call them and ask. Also remember to ask what proof of medical necessity you need (I work wiith insurance every day, don't forget to ask this! lol)
    There is nothing they can do while the baby is in the womb... not that I know of.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Many people are born with heart murmurs and they go away on there own. I was born with complete heart block (due to my mother having lupus)and a heart murmur (that went away)had a whole in my heart (they didn't find that out until I was 22 and had a stroke and think that's caused it. had it fixed) and got a pacemaker 4 1/2 years ago at 34. It's not only the elderly that get pacemaker. Babies on up get them.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I can understand why he would say he needed the information, but I also believe that he should be able to tell no matter what kind of murmur it is. It's his specialty. That's how murmurs get diagnosed in the first place. My first daughter had a hole in her heart. She needs a recheck to make sure she's ok, but the doc said it closed at a year. The only reason we found it was because she didn't gain weight well. Her original pediatrician was very thorough in listening for one. It was very quiet. I think they should have told you what to expect before you go, but they don't always tell you. As the patient they expect you to just know I guess.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2010